Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Year 10 didn't go aswell as I'd hoped especially in subjects history where I wasn't sure what was happening 99% of the time and English where I didn't understand the sign of four read in class because tbh my teachers were really unhelpful. On top of that I need to catch up on subjects like maths & sciences that I'm in middle set four but need to get into top in order to do the higher papers and take them for a level. I'm on OCR schools history project doing Britain 1815-51 and crime and punishment through time and I borrowed a big book from school and it took my 6 hours to read on electoral reform as I need to teach myself it and study. I feel like I won't finish in time does anyone know any good tips , or has been in a similar situation? Even when I do revision time tables I always run over time so I'm kinda stuck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Cornflakes1688)
    Year 10 didn't go aswell as I'd hoped especially in subjects history where I wasn't sure what was happening 99% of the time and English where I didn't understand the sign of four read in class because tbh my teachers were really unhelpful. On top of that I need to catch up on subjects like maths & sciences that I'm in middle set four but need to get into top in order to do the higher papers and take them for a level. I'm on OCR schools history project doing Britain 1815-51 and crime and punishment through time and I borrowed a big book from school and it took my 6 hours to read on electoral reform as I need to teach myself it and study. I feel like I won't finish in time does anyone know any good tips , or has been in a similar situation? Even when I do revision time tables I always run over time so I'm kinda stuck
    I was in a similar position as you because of illness, so my attendance was almost nothing. Even through year 11 I went to probably 20 lessons in that whole year. It's still more than possible to get good grades. Keep at the revision and the studying and don't be disheartened. Try revision websites for each subject over the summer while you still have time to catch up before having to learn even more new material. Make a list of the things you need to work on for each subject and take them to the respective teachers. Ask if you can go over them in class or in a study session some time as you're struggling and you don't want to fall far behind. Speak to the other students in your classes as well and see if any of them would be willing to help you out with copies of some of their notes on the things you need to learn. Do plenty of past papers when you're revising because they're really helpful in getting used to going over the material in exam format. The most important thing is to not get disheartened. Yes, it can be tough and it can be time consuming. You can do it though. You just have to push through and carry on. It'll be so worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in year 10 right now, going into year 11 in September.
    you should buy a revision guide to avoid this so that any information you didn't pick up at class, you could do at home. I used to be on the foundation tier for science at the start of year 10, at the end of year 10 , about 4 weeks before the core science GCSE I emailed the head of our science department and explained why I want to be in the higher tier set, after 2 days he contacted me and put me into the lowest set of the higher tier and said if I get good grade on the core science GCSE I may get moved up I can honestly say that the exams for the higher tier are easier than the foundation. for maths is in a foundation set. Don't do revision timetables, they are a waste of time. if you want to revise for an exam then always revise 1 or 2 weeks before the exam for a subject, revise at least 3 hours a day. take 15-minute breaks after every hour .drink a lot of water when revising. research suggests that people who exercise for 10 minutes when taking a break can remember more information for exams, so exercise, always drink a red bull before an exam, they have a lot of caffeine so they will increase the brain's activity. Also do every past paper you can find to test yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    you should buy a revision guide to avoid this so that any information you didn't pick up at class, you could do at home. I used to be on the foundation tier for science at the start of year 10, at the end of year 10 , about 4 weeks before the core science GCSE I emailed the head of our science department and explained why I want to be in the higher tier set, after 2 days he contacted me and put me into the lowest set of the higher tier and said if I get good grade on the core science GCSE I may get moved up I can honestly say that the exams for the higher tier are easier than the foundation. for maths is in a foundation set. Don't do revision timetables, they are a waste of time. if you want to revise for an exam then always revise 1 or 2 weeks before the exam for a subject, revise at least 3 hours a day. take 15-minute breaks after every hour .drink a lot of water when revising. research suggests that people who exercise for 10 minutes when taking a break can remember more information for exams, so exercise, always drink a red bull before an exam, they have a lot of caffeine so they will increase the brain's activity. Also do every past paper you can find to test yourself.
    That......is not good advice Revising 2 weeks before the actual GCSEs can make you very stressed and you don't know if the person would find higher hard or easy as you don't know him. Everyone's different. Also, a revision timetable is not ''a wast of time''. They help you organise your time and it makes you less stressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    I agree that exam timetables are restrictive, but I wouldn't really call them a waste of time. They can keep you on track, but I find them far too limiting and I end up forgetting about them quickly. Revising 2 weeks before, might work for say, Science, due to the fact that there's not too much content, but with subjects like History, where there's far more content to pick up, I really wouldn't advise it. I'd say give yourself time, you'd be spreading yourself quite thinly, and the last thing you want to happen is to run out of time to cover a subject.

To the OP, I'd recommend catching up before you go back into Year 11, it'll save a lot of stress! Grab CGP's revision guides and start flicking through the stuff you're unsure about. For Maths, Edexcel has their own revision guide and workbook that you might want to look into.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Hi, I could help you catch up with some work. Could you please PM me and I'll go from there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.