x Turn on thread page Beta

Reforms watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but I know that the way AS and A levels are completed are changing, and I want to know about textbooks and revision guides. Are the specifications staying the same (i.e. from 2015 when they were changed) or is the layout and spec changing?

Therefore, are the books from the 'new spec' for 2015 no use to the new A levels or are they still worth getting/are no new ones being brought out?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just wait until you get to sixth form/college in September, your teachers there will recommend you the right books

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere but I know that the way AS and A levels are completed are changing, and I want to know about textbooks and revision guides. Are the specifications staying the same (i.e. from 2015 when they were changed) or is the layout and spec changing?

Therefore, are the books from the 'new spec' for 2015 no use to the new A levels or are they still worth getting/are no new ones being brought out?

Thanks
    You certainly need to be careful about any revision guides you buy as we are in the middle of changes right now and different subjects are changing at different times.

There are also different exam boards for subjects and even different specifications within the same exam board.

I agree with nomophobia - wait until you start sixth form and then get some advice from your teachers. If you want to do some preliminary study, maybe check the school or college website to see if they specify the exact courses you'll be following. Or just read some generally relevant stuff for the subjects you'll be studying.

Good luck with your sixth form study!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

Thanks
    You certainly need to be careful about any revision guides you buy as we are in the middle of changes right now and different subjects are changing at different times.

There are also different exam boards for subjects and even different specifications within the same exam board.

I agree with nomophobia - wait until you start sixth form and then get some advice from your teachers. If you want to do some preliminary study, maybe check the school or college website to see if they specify the exact courses you'll be following. Or just read some generally relevant stuff for the subjects you'll be studying.

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Just wait until you get to sixth form/college in September, your teachers there will recommend you the right books

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)

Thanks for your responses - I appreciate it.

And I completely understand it's a difficult time to know what's going on. The issue I have is that I might be self-teaching certain subjects and not going to sixth form so I won't have a teacher to advise me on textbook, hence the question
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Thanks for your responses - I appreciate it.

And I completely understand it's a difficult time to know what's going on. The issue I have is that I might be self-teaching certain subjects and not going to sixth form so I won't have a teacher to advise me on textbook, hence the question
    OK, let's have a go ... what subjects are you doing at what level? And you know what specifications you'll be following?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)
    OK, let's have a go ... what subjects are you doing at what level? And you know what specifications you'll be following?
    I would be looking at doing A-levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Maths and FM would be with Edexcel whilst Chemistry and Physics would be AQA - but I'm unsure about the best specifications to do.

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    if aqa physics and chem they have books for the new specs idk how you would purchase these as I rent from my scool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    if aqa physics and chem they have books for the new specs idk how you would purchase these as I rent from my scool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are they for the new spec for the reforms? Or are they 2015 ones - or are these 2015 ones the ones covering the reforms too?

ReputationRep:
    Are they for the new spec for the reforms? Or are they 2015 ones - or are these 2015 ones the ones covering the reforms too?
    Books written for "the 2015 specification" are books you'll need for the reformed science subjects, new science specifications began teaching in September 2015.

Maths is not yet changed and if you plan to take exams in summer 2017 or summer 2018 the existing books are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Books written for "the 2015 specification" are books you'll need for the reformed science subjects, new science specifications began teaching in September 2015.

Maths is not yet changed and if you plan to take exams in summer 2017 or summer 2018 the existing books are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah right, so the book I have for AQA Physics which says ~For the 2015 Spec~ is the one I need for these exams and they wont bring out any new ones yet? Thanks for this

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, so the book I have for AQA Physics which says ~For the 2015 Spec~ is the one I need for these exams and they wont bring out any new ones yet? Thanks for this
    The specification won't now change and the book you have matches it. There may be other new books created by other publishers from time to time but what you have is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    The specification won't now change and the book you have matches it. There may be other new books created by other publishers from time to time but what you have is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's very reassuring and very helpful - thank you!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 10, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.