Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going into year 12 and i have chosen to do English Literature, History and Classical Civilisation. But i want to swap from English Literature to Psychology. Is 1 facilitating subject enough for me to get into a Russel Group Uni?

also these are the subjects i enjoy the most and i don't want to take a degree related to maths or science

Should i swap from English Lit to Psychology?
    How hard are they both to do at a level?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you meet the RG group's grade requirements then you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Generally no. Only case I can imagine that working is if the degree relates to all of the subjects, but I can't think of a degree where Classical Civilisation and Psychology are both needed. Generally you should be aiming to do 3 facilitating subjects for RG or other top universities, so you should do English lit, and consider doing a third one if you can, unless you want to do something that relates to the non-facilitating subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kobisha)
    I am going into year 12 and i have chosen to do English Literature, History and Classical Civilisation. But i want to swap from English Literature to Psychology. Is 1 facilitating subject enough for me to get into a Russel Group Uni?

also these are the subjects i enjoy the most and i don't want to take a degree related to maths or science

There seems to be a misconception that the more facilitating subjects you have the more likely you are to get into a better uni, this is not the case. The facilitating subjects are a list of subjects agreed upon by the russel group universities which are required or preferred for multiple degrees, so keep your options open. So basically, if you know what degree you want to apply for and you meet the requirement (eg. UCL requires classicial civilisation for its ancient history degree) then as long as you can link your other subjects to what you want to study then you will not be disadvantaged at all. If you don't know what degree you want to do then picking more facilitating subjects will keep more options open to you as they are required or preferred for more degree courses. The most important thing is the grades, if you meet the unis requirements then your other subjects don't really matter at all as long as you get good grades in them.

ReputationRep:
    Why 3 subjects only? :-/ That's limiting yourself and some people ( especially employers) do not like that, that's what I've been told. Why not take English Lit, Psychology, History and Classics? If you work hard enough, you'll still get the good grades, don't take the easy route, because you might find uni a lot harder then. That's the best piece of advice I can give to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I got offers from Cardiff and Birmingham and I did Sociology, Psychology and Film Studies, your subjects will be fine as long as you can link the skills learnt in them to your degree subject in your PS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SabakuKyuu)
    Why 3 subjects only? :-/ That's limiting yourself and some people ( especially employers) do not like that, that's what I've been told. Why not take English Lit, Psychology, History and Classics? If you work hard enough, you'll still get the good grades, don't take the easy route, because you might find uni a lot harder then. That's the best piece of advice I can give to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The school i go to only lets us take 3 A Levels and we need to have 7A*s at GCSE to do 4 A Levels
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Facilitating just means flexible - it doesn't mean preferred.

Read what the RG actually say http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5320...medchoices.pdf

Classics counts as a facilitating subject

ReputationRep:
    You should take two facilitating subjects, that way at least one of your subjects at A2 will be facilitating.

ReputationRep:
    The school i go to only lets us take 3 A Levels and we need to have 7A*s at GCSE to do 4 A Levels
    Oh my, that's ridiculous :| I would never go to a school that does that, they probably only care about their results.. Well, then, I'd advise you to take English Lit, as it's considered more facilitating. You can read books about psychology (such as Psychology for Dummies) in your free time, it covers all the basics of psychology. They also offer books on philosophy, ethics and other subjects :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should take a minimum of 2 facilitating subjects. History is a facilitating subject and psychology is counted as facilitating by most unis.

Psychology is even listed as an acceptable and hence facilitating subject by Cambridge, albeit one of more "limited" use than English Lit.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nihil_nimis)
    There seems to be a misconception that the more facilitating subjects you have the more likely you are to get into a better uni, this is not the case. The facilitating subjects are a list of subjects agreed upon by the russel group universities which are required or preferred for multiple degrees, so keep your options open. So basically, if you know what degree you want to apply for and you meet the requirement (eg. UCL requires classicial civilisation for its ancient history degree) then as long as you can link your other subjects to what you want to study then you will not be disadvantaged at all. If you don't know what degree you want to do then picking more facilitating subjects will keep more options open to you as they are required or preferred for more degree courses. The most important thing is the grades, if you meet the unis requirements then your other subjects don't really matter at all as long as you get good grades in them.
    Agreed and wish I got this advice as I took 3 hard A levels and got very average grades for a good midtable uni whereas if I did easy subjects could have got into a top uni. However, point is I think Unis like the harder ones and people should still do them as it will prepare them for their Uni courses and just save the disappointment of failing at uni

ReputationRep:

Hi there,

I got into a Russell Group university with no 'facilitating subjects' my entry requirements were actually lower than someone who did a facilitating subject! I also received offers from all my other applications, including 2 other Russell Group Universities.

So please, I am telling you from experience - it is enough!

ReputationRep:
    How is Eng Lit not a facilitating subject? If anything I would've thought ClassCiv isn't a facilitating subject? (unless you're doing Classics or something related of course). I find hard and soft subjects are generally stupid, all subjects are hard at A2 level. What are you planning to apply for? Are you choosing your subjects just because they're facilitating? There's no point if they don't go well together, and whilst Psychology is interesting your subject combination would be really weird. Just get good grades and you'll do fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    We are now only allowed to take 3 A-levels from the start. We can still take 4 however in year 12 however our AS-levels no longer count for anything in our overall grade because we take one big set of exams at the end our the two years. Therefore a lot of schools have decided to just do 3 subjects right from the beginning.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.