Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    I'm in year 12 atm & I'm sure I've done AWFUL in my AS's levels, partly because i went on a 3week holiday on study leave, as all my exams weren't really till the end of study leave, and i told myself i'd revise & id be fine anyway as i did Ok in my mocks without doing much work, but i barely did any work on holiday & i wasnt lucky with any of the questions either, so as a result pretty much all my exams went poorly.
    Also this year for some reason i havnt been motivated atall & i've hated sixthform, unlike in year 11 where i actually worked quite hard, I've been handing work in late, having a lot of time off & generally just not enjoying it.
    i think part of the reason for my dislike is that my 10 very closest friends all left to go to another collage as they didn't have the grades to stay on at our sixthform & i stil have friends there, but no one im really close with
    I'm pretty sure I'll get chucked out anyway & not have the option of retaking some subjects in Jan, as about 20% of people who haven't "progressed" will be asked to leave.

So, i think i have 2 real options
    1. Enroll with another sixthform collage in sept & just retake the year, taking the same/similar subjects & have just a complete fresh start & try to do very well with me AS levels
    OR
    2. Work for a year, but also study & pay to retake my modules i didnt do well in somewhere else (is this even possible..??) so just revise for those on my own., and then in a years time do my A2s somewhere else at another collage

Sorry about the long rant:p: , but yeah wat would you all do if you were in my situation? What do you thinks the best thing to do? Also is option 2 possible?? Please help
    Thanx in advance xxxxxxxxx

Retake the year.

ReputationRep:
    Retake the year somewhere else. Not in the college your friends went to though, because when they leave it may discourage you, and you'll mess up your A2 year then.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Option 1.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx 4 the advice does number 2 seem like a bad idea..??

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because you'd have to quit the job to do your A2s anyway, you want to get into a good working pattern.

ReputationRep:
    Failed AS's, don't know what to do
    Oh really? I would really appreciate it if you told me how you knew, cos I really want to know before August 16th.

You don't know that you've failed. So just sit back, chillax, and enjoy the summer holiday. Cross that bridge if you get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Oh really? I would really appreciate it if you told me how you knew, cos I really want to know before August 16th.

You don't know that you've failed. So just sit back, chillax, and enjoy the summer holiday. Cross that bridge if you get there.
    If you wrote "Because god said so" on every question, I'm pretty sure you failed.

Unless the examiner was religious of course.

ReputationRep:
    And for the person who neg repped my post (?!), obviously not picking up on my not serious undertones, I was implying that its not worth worrying and assuming that you have failed now...you will most likely do better than you thought. And there are always resits next year!

And sign your rep next time, pathetic really.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I got CEUU last year. I took 11 exams in January this year, including 2 A2 modules. You have a number of options. You could enrol at another Sixth Form College and start Y12 again. If you have any personal difficulties that may have affected your performance, perhaps consider doing the same subjects again, but be sure to check which specification is being followed. This will allow you to have the knowledge from last year.

Alternatively, you may wish to stay at your current sixth form/college and resit the modules you think you did poorly in. Remember though that you don't know yet - always stay positive! You could do these resits either in January or June, alongside your other subjects. You could either carry on into Y13 and do the resits alongside your A2 courses. This is a lot of work, but if it is done well then you can put yourself back on track. You might wish to resit the year, where you have the benefit of revisitng the material with your teachers' guidiance.

You could enrol at an Evening class, whilst working or doing voluntary work during the day. This would look good on your CV, but also provide you with the opportunity to earn some money to fund any planned University study. The alternative might be to embark on new courses at either your current school or college or a different one.

Alternatively, you could seek employment - but you may have to do further training. This is normal when you start a new job anyway. Most of all, try not to worry. I'm surte you will have done better than you think - it is never the ehd of the world!

Good luck on your results

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you've done as badly as you think you have, resit the year at another sixth form or college. But if your grades are good enough that you could pull them up by resitting modules in Year 13 at the same time as A2s, either stick it out at your current sixth form for another year or see if you can move somewhere else for A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    Retake the year.
    Werd.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on how badly you've done so it's not a decision you can make now. Work out two courses of action - where you're going to go to retake if it is awfully bad (you don't have to do the same subjects if you do that, which might be something to think about) and what you'll do to catch up if it's salvageable. If you get something like CCDU... that's not the end of the world and you could probably manage with resits, providing you work hard, meaning you don't have to waste a year, whereas if you get EEUU it probably is worth retaking the entire year. It doesn't seem like the problem was your lack of understanding, just your lack of work, so if you have the academic abilty to do well and haven't done utterly appallingly all you need to do is knuckle down this year. You could do a bit of work throughout this summer (not loads, just a bit) to help you catch up a bit. As for not being happy at college, I say stick it out. You don't seem really miserable and it's only a year. It's not a good enough reason to quit.

ReputationRep:
    2 is possible, although you would need to find a college willign to take you. It can get tricky with practical subjects like computing.

If you have trouble with motivation, which your post seems to suggest - at least based on this year, independent study might not be such a good idea though. I'd go for option one, or perhaps work and do evening classes but that'll still require independent work so you'd need to be able to motivate yourself more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sassy0x)
    Hey everyone
    I'm in year 12 atm & I'm sure I've done AWFUL in my AS's levels, partly because i went on a 3week holiday on study leave, as all my exams weren't really till the end of study leave, and i told myself i'd revise & id be fine anyway as i did Ok in my mocks without doing much work, but i barely did any work on holiday & i wasnt lucky with any of the questions either, so as a result pretty much all my exams went poorly.
    Also this year for some reason i havnt been motivated atall & i've hated sixthform, unlike in year 11 where i actually worked quite hard, I've been handing work in late, having a lot of time off & generally just not enjoying it.
    i think part of the reason for my dislike is that my 10 very closest friends all left to go to another collage as they didn't have the grades to stay on at our sixthform & i stil have friends there, but no one im really close with
    I'm pretty sure I'll get chucked out anyway & not have the option of retaking some subjects in Jan, as about 20% of people who haven't "progressed" will be asked to leave.

So, i think i have 2 real options
    1. Enroll with another sixthform collage in sept & just retake the year, taking the same/similar subjects & have just a complete fresh start & try to do very well with me AS levels
    OR
    2. Work for a year, but also study & pay to retake my modules i didnt do well in somewhere else (is this even possible..??) so just revise for those on my own., and then in a years time do my A2s somewhere else at another collage

Sorry about the long rant:p: , but yeah wat would you all do if you were in my situation? What do you thinks the best thing to do? Also is option 2 possible?? Please help
    Thanx in advance xxxxxxxxx
    Your situation sounds very familiar... I basically worked much harder in the A2 year and resat virtually all of my AS level modules. I just pulled my socks up basically because it might not be enjoyable but at least you can get your alevels.

ReputationRep:
    Option 1 sounds like the best option . It would be a good idea to retake at least one of the subjects you have done this year, because you will have the basic knowledge for it. I don't think option 2 (the independent study route) would allow you to reach your full potential.

ReputationRep:
    so what would happen to the OP's predicted grades, wouldnt it be really low ??

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    dont write off option 2, i did exactly that exept i worked for two years at a building society. The experience matured me considerably and whilst before i was getting E's/U's im now looking at 4 A's in sciences and maths.

We all take a different amount of time to reach our potential and everybody is different, two years away from education gave me time to focus and then return with a desire and endevour to succeed.

Of course most people will say option 1 is the most practical, but if your not ready you will just have wasted another year. Remember years spent in employment are NOT wasted years, they can build your confidence and most importantly your people skills. A year in employment will help you re-focus as well as provide an income which can help lower the burden that is student debt!

Hope this brief story helps lol!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd retake. But I guess there's really no rush, if you're considering university then they're happy to accept mature students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prash_s90)
    so what would happen to the OP's predicted grades, wouldnt it be really low ??
    Predicted grades for university? She wouldn't be applying to university in the next academic year if she went with either option, so I'm not sure I understand...

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.