Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My situation is quite complicated but I'll try and simplify it as best I can. Basically, I have a choice between accepting an offer for 2016 entry to a good university or (for reasons that are too long to explain) declining that offer and reapplying to do a Foundation Year for 2017 entry which, if I got accepted, would enable me to get into a better university. I'm just not sure what to do so any advice would be really helpful. Do you think it would be better to accept the original offer (which as I said is a good university but unfortunately I'm just not sure about it) or take a risk in order to get into somewhere I like better? Also, what are people's opinions of Foundation Years? The reason I'm in this situation is due to illness so it is a legitimate reason but, from reading the threads on here and my general impression, I get the feeling that people tend to look down on Foundation Years.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My situation is quite complicated but I'll try and simplify it as best I can. Basically, I have a choice between accepting an offer for 2016 entry to a good university or (for reasons that are too long to explain) declining that offer and reapplying to do a Foundation Year for 2017 entry which, if I got accepted, would enable me to get into a better university. I'm just not sure what to do so any advice would be really helpful. Do you think it would be better to accept the original offer (which as I said is a good university but unfortunately I'm just not sure about it) or take a risk in order to get into somewhere I like better? Also, what are people's opinions of Foundation Years? The reason I'm in this situation is due to illness so it is a legitimate reason but, from reading the threads on here and my general impression, I get the feeling that people tend to look down on Foundation Years.
    What is your distinction between the two universities, why is the better one worth a year wait to go? If you re really unsure there's no harm in waiting but you could do resits in a gap year rather than doing a foundation year?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi Anonymous,

I am a student who wasn't sure what type of work to get into and what interested me, I finished A levels and was at a point where I debated on whether to go straight to university when I was not sure of my options.
    My teacher suggested I complete a foundation to help decide, and I found myself on a pathway I would not have even considered back then. I did get offers into my universities but I was still uncertain. Completing a foundation for me was about to confirming whether I wanted to do what I thought, or find something new along the way. It was like a stepping stone for me to go into a degree course, at the same time it was great because it gave me more time to decide. There's a lot of pressure for you to decide straight after receiving results and well I wasn't very good at deciding under pressure nor did I want to regret it, so a foundation was an open option for me.

If I found myself not enjoying it as much as I thought, there was still time for me to revert back to my roots or find something entirely different. In my case I found something new and challenging and continued it on for degree. You shouldn't allow other people's opinions affect you, at the end of the day everyone is different and different things work for different people.
    Pick the option that is most suited to you, there are always options available

Hope this helps,
    Jay

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.