Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if you wouldn't mind giving a few pros and cons of each college that would be really helpful. I understand it is all subjective but it would be good to get other people's views on each college. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There are fourteen colleges in Durham City, plus two in Stockton which are moving to the main city campus as well. Any chance you could narrow down the options at all, because 16 is rather a lot to write about!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes sorry! So far I'm quite interested in Van Mildert. If it helps I'm applying for English. What I liked about Van Mildert was the sense of community I got from the college. I was also interested in St Mary's.

ReputationRep:
    As you say it's all subjective and depends on what's important to you. There's plenty of info about facilities etc available online.

That said, Collingwood is clearly the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctenglish)
    Thanks for the reply. Yes sorry! So far I'm quite interested in Van Mildert. If it helps I'm applying for English. What I liked about Van Mildert was the sense of community I got from the college. I was also interested in St Mary's.
    Both of them have lovely grounds and surroundings. Mildert has a significantly better bar, though I have been told by friends there that a lot of the activities can become rather cliquey, extending to things like the JCR Exec/Committee (this may be the same as at Marys, though I've not heard so directly). Mary's is very well-thought of for sports and has plenty of its own facilities. Mildert is well-regarded for theatre. Mary's generally requires you to share a room for one term, though this does reduce accommodation costs; Mildert has entirely single rooms. Mary's has gowned formals, while Mildert does not (though they do still have formal dinners, and the one I went to at Mildert was lovely).

So really, it just depends on what you're looking for!

ReputationRep:
    Any chance you could give pros and cons of Hild Bede please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    As you say it's all subjective and depends on what's important to you. There's plenty of info about facilities etc available online.

That said, Collingwood is clearly the best
    Haha thanks for the tip I'll look into it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    Both of them have lovely grounds and surroundings. Mildert has a significantly better bar, though I have been told by friends there that a lot of the activities can become rather cliquey, extending to things like the JCR Exec/Committee (this may be the same as at Marys, though I've not heard so directly). Mary's is very well-thought of for sports and has plenty of its own facilities. Mildert is well-regarded for theatre. Mary's generally requires you to share a room for one term, though this does reduce accommodation costs; Mildert has entirely single rooms. Mary's has gowned formals, while Mildert does not (though they do still have formal dinners, and the one I went to at Mildert was lovely).

So really, it just depends on what you're looking for!
    Thank you. Do you mind me asking what college you're part of ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazatron3000)
    Any chance you could give pros and cons of Hild Bede please?
    Major pro: big old house with lots of private facilities. Included lots of sports stuff

Major con: literally miles away from any other college and Durham's main town area

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctenglish)
    Thank you. Do you mind me asking what college you're part of ?
    I was at Butler for my degree myself (I've just graduated, but starting a PhD in Newcastle so will still be living in the city)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.