Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just thought i would say how brilliant this is.. i mean ok just outside the top ten according to the Guardian's league table.. but Soton has come above some of the (previously considered) really good Uni's like Nottingham! Woop for Soton!

Do you reckon this will increase the number of applicants even more for next year?

I do! lol!

Oh and i also noticed for some course.. mechanics or something or computing Soton came top!! Wow!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's great, not that I read into league tables too much, but I can't wait to see where Soton comes in the Times league table!

ReputationRep:
    to the poster above, no matter which uni you go i will be with you i have got soton firm and reading insurance for law lol see you somewhere!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by man123)
    to the poster above, no matter which uni you go i will be with you i have got soton firm and reading insurance for law lol see you somewhere!!
    Lol inless I miss my Soton offer and have to go to Reading and you get into Soton. But yeah, there's a big chance we'll be going to the same uni.

ReputationRep:
    It's fab news for Soton, especially as we also made it into the rankings for top universities in the world!

ReputationRep:
    Most people dont see the Guardians league tables as good as the Times one, so it doesnt matter that muxh :p:. Best to look out for the Times one, much more reliable.

ReputationRep:
    Came first for EEE
    http://browse.guardian.co.uk/educati...ectrical&Go=Go

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian ranked soton 3rd for maths at one point just after oxford and cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    i still think its very good even if Guardian isn't as good as the Times one, because potential students will look at anything to give them an indication of how good a university is and therefore will be impressed by its position. Which is obviously good news for current students as decent proffessors will want to teach there and also more students equals more money and hopefully better resources - plus if a better (qualified) load of students start to come to Soton then it will push the uni even higher up as in theory better degrees will be achieved and Soton will look very impressive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyingpig)
    The Guardian ranked soton 3rd for maths at one point just after oxford and cambridge.
    Also ranked it 31st this year.

ReputationRep:
    Guardian Ranking = meaningless. Worst tables ever - its a shame that table could make people make very decisive decision where they want to go - but will really just be misinformed. League tables arn't best indicators - but guardian is not just not an indicator - it is just total rubbish. If you want to get a "rough idea" (The most league tables can do) check the times - more sensible (again don't make decision on tables alone).

Guardian should really stop doing rankings period.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i don't pop in here much. In one league table we were third for medicine behind oxbridge, in another we were halfway down. If you choose soton, choose it for other things because it flucuates so much you can't rely on league tables.

I chose here because i liked the atmosphere and the fact that they made an extra effort to reach out to non traditional students. I liked the fact that it was a good uni, but wasn't up its own arse. That isn't compared to oxbridge as i've never been there as a prospective student, but some places i went to focused too much on their status.

ReputationRep:
    university rankings are a loada rubbish

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 31, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.