Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you know someone that's been to one... watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you go or know anyone at the following universities?
    Nottingham
    40.00%
    Bath
    40.00%
    Surrey
    20.00%
    Southampton
    20.00%
    Manchester
    100.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Was just wondering if there are people that have been to or know anyone that goes to my current 5 uni choices? Also I specifically want to know what I could expect social life, independent study, societies etc to be like at these universities. The universities that I want to study maths at are Nottingham, Bath, Southampton, Surrey and Manchester. Thanks in advance if you make a post on this thread. 😊
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Hi guys. Was just wondering if there are people that have been to or know anyone that goes to my current 5 uni choices? Also I specifically want to know what I could expect social life, independent study, societies etc to be like at these universities. The universities that I want to study maths at are Nottingham, Bath, Southampton, Surrey and Manchester. Thanks in advance if you make a post on this thread. 😊
    You may be interested in this thread about Bath, with some details about maths on it as I am a maths student at Bath. I can't remember what I've posted on it to be honest as it was a long time ago, so I won't really say anything here unless you have unanswered questions, but I would say that I would highly recommend studying maths at Bath - the placement year is just a fantastic opportunity and some of the 3rd year options look genuinely interesting, the second year is okay and the first year is fine for easing you into study and it's generally a nice place to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    You may be interested in this thread about Bath, with some details about maths on it as I am a maths student at Bath. I can't remember what I've posted on it to be honest as it was a long time ago, so I won't really say anything here unless you have unanswered questions, but I would say that I would highly recommend studying maths at Bath - the placement year is just a fantastic opportunity and some of the 3rd year options look genuinely interesting, the second year is okay and the first year is fine for easing you into study and it's generally a nice place to be.
    Cool, thanks for the advice! I'm going to look at the thread. Just have a quick query. What online resources would you recommend me to look at to prepare for university level mathematics? I basically want to look outside the A Level specification. I know you learn about topics like Linear Algebra, Calculus, etc...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Cool, thanks for the advice! I'm going to look at the thread. Just have a quick query. What online resources would you recommend me to look at to prepare for university level mathematics? I basically want to look outside the A Level specification. I know you learn about topics like Linear Algebra, Calculus, etc...
    Any kind of introductory algebra/analysis (the idea of maps, linear algebra as you say, cool things to do with series, different tests etc) is probably a starting point for algebra/analysis. Briefly looking at STEP may help if you aren't sitting it. But I did neither of those things to 'prepare' for university and I got on just fine in the first year so I do not know of any online resources - sorry - but I am sure that somewhere like youtube or even just googling undergraduate topics (perhaps from the Bath module catalogue - the descriptions are usually good) and you may get notes that are helpful/relevant/easy enough to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Any kind of introductory algebra/analysis (the idea of maps, linear algebra as you say, cool things to do with series, different tests etc) is probably a starting point for algebra/analysis. Briefly looking at STEP may help if you aren't sitting it. But I did neither of those things to 'prepare' for university and I got on just fine in the first year so I do not know of any online resources - sorry - but I am sure that somewhere like youtube or even just googling undergraduate topics (perhaps from the Bath module catalogue - the descriptions are usually good) and you may get notes that are helpful/relevant/easy enough to understand.
    Ah alright, it's ok if you don't know any sources. Once again thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.