Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  510.4 KB
    Hi I really don't understand how you would work these questions out, thanks for any help. (It's questions 2 and 4 that I don't understand)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meggy moo 1)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  510.4 KB
    Hi I really don't understand how you would work these questions out, thanks for any help. (It's questions 2 and 4 that I don't understand)
    Are you supposed to be using the Newton-Raphson method? If so you just use the iterative formula  \displaystyle x_{n+1}=x_n-\frac{f(x_n)}{f'(x_n)} .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Are you supposed to be using the Newton-Raphson method? If so you just use the iterative formula  \displaystyle x_{n+1}=x_n-\frac{f(x_n)}{f'(x_n)} .
    Sorry I don't know what that is as I've never been taught it

ReputationRep:
    You only have to try the numbers 0,1,2,3,4,5 because it says integer, if you're really stuck, try them all until the equation equals zero

ReputationRep:
    just look up iterative formula on exam solutions, I'm pretty sure in question 2 your trying to find N,N+1, so for example say N=1, Then the interval is 1to 2.
    So input x=1 and x=2 into the equation and one answer should be negative and one positive, which indicates the graph has gone through the x axis between 1 & 2 hence the root {y=0 or f(x)=0} falls between 1&2 as there is a change of sign (+ to -).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    You only have to try the numbers 0,1,2,3,4,5 because it says integer, if you're really stuck, try them all until the equation equals zero
    I did that and I managed to complete the exercise correctly now, thank you!

(Original post by philo-jitsu)
    just look up iterative formula on exam solutions, I'm pretty sure in question 2 your trying to find N,N+1, so for example say N=1, Then the interval is 1to 2.
    So input x=1 and x=2 into the equation and one answer should be negative and one positive, which indicates the graph has gone through the x axis between 1 & 2 hence the root {y=0 or f(x)=0} falls between 1&2 as there is a change of sign (+ to -).
    That made a lot of sense when I tried the work again, thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.