Turn on thread page Beta

strength training watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone

i'm on a mission to lose 30lbs to get back to 115 lbs, i have my food sorted and cardio but it's just strength training i'm a bit iffy on now

i do resistance training about three times a week for 30 mins but i don't really feel like i've achieved much (apart from the tricep machine, ouch) afterwards. i've heard strength training is really good to get a lean look whilst losing weight which is good for me because i don't want to lose 30lbs and still be a bit wobbly

but where do i start? i'm literally next to clueless in this field, any tips given would be absolutely appreciated. are the resistance machines ok? i'd rather not do things with dumbells just yet because i'm still a bit of a beginner and like to think before leaping :p: but if dumbells are absolutely the only and best way to strength train then i'll do it

thanks very much

im female btw

ReputationRep:
    It would help if you mention your diet and exercise routine because its really hard to to calculate your progress. There is a such thing as over-training. If you just started I'll say take it slow in the beginning and track your progress, you won't see the results over night.
    I'm going to say that most professional trainers would say that strength training requires more energy and builds muscle whereas cardio aims for the opposite. So you have to strike a balance which is possible with a good work routine. I'd say just keep doing what you are doing.

I would HIGHLY recommend posting this in a bodybuilding / fitness forum for females http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14 for some professional female input.

ReputationRep:
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOST)
    I would HIGHLY recommend posting this in a bodybuilding / fitness forum for females http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14 for some professional female input.
    I agree 110%. They sorted me out really well on that site.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, For exclusive strength, I'd recommend a Push/Pull/Legs split, and/or the horrendous Rippetoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misogynist)
    Hm, For exclusive strength, I'd recommend a Push/Pull/Legs split, and/or the horrendous Rippetoes.
    I agree with the first part. But you can't do "and/or" rippetoes, I started a thread at BB.com and they told me if your doing rippetoes your meant to do nothing but rippetoes, if you do other stuff your not doing rippetoes. You can do stuff like cardio of course but the purpose of rippetoes is to start building strength through some basic but effective lifts.

:dontknow: I just stuck to it and its working well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S a n d h u)
    I agree with the first part. But you can't do "and/or" rippetoes, I started a thread at BB.com and they told me if your doing rippetoes your meant to do nothing but rippetoes, if you do other stuff your not doing rippetoes. You can do stuff like cardio of course but the purpose of rippetoes is to start building strength through some basic but effective lifts.

:dontknow: I just stuck to it and its working well.
    I know. I meant the and/or as in do either. Which was wrong, but Pf.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.