Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the best forum - please move if there is a better place.

In 1978, Michael Hart wrote a book entitled "The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History". The 1992 version of the book listed the top 15 as follows:
    1 Muhammad
    2 Isaac Newton
    3 Jesus
    4 Buddha
    5 Confucius
    6 St. Paul
    7 Ts'ai Lun
    8 Johannes Gutenberg
    9 Christopher Columbus
    10 Albert Einstein
    11 Louis Pasteur
    12 Galileo Galilei
    13 Aristotle
    14 Euclid
    15 Moses
    Was interested in what your views were on the subject.

My top 10 would be:

1. Muhammad
    2. Jesus of Nazareth
    3. Karl Marx
    4. Isaac Newton
    5. Albert Einstein
    6. Adolf Hitler
    7. Niccolo Machiavelli
    8. Qin Shi Huang
    9. Christopher Columbus
    10. Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus (Emperor Augustus of Rome)

ReputationRep:
    Plato should be in there and what's you logic may i ask in placing Jesus after Muhammad?

ReputationRep:
    indeed, jesus should be ahead of muhammed considering there are more christians in the world than muslims and given the muslims recognise jesus as well so he gets twice the rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    Not sure if this is the best forum - please move if there is a better place.

In 1978, Michael Hart wrote a book entitled "The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History". The 1992 version of the book listed the top 15 as follows:

Was interested in what your views were on the subject.

My top 10 would be:

1. Muhammad
    2. Jesus of Nazareth
    3. Karl Marx
    4. Isaac Newton
    5. Albert Einstein
    6. Adolf Hitler
    7. Niccolo Machiavelli
    8. Qin Shi Huang
    9. Christopher Columbus
    10. Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus (Emperor Augustus of Rome)
    Good thread...

I agree with Muhammad and Newton being the top 2. St Paul, Hitler, Marx and Einstein should be in the top 10 as well. Alexander the Great?

I'm fairly biased toward scientists...I think Crick & Watson, Darwin, and Faraday are difficult to leave out.

ReputationRep:
    I think Thud manages to scrape herself into the top 20.

ReputationRep:
    Machiavelli? Why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    indeed, jesus should be ahead of muhammed considering there are more christians in the world than muslims and given the muslims recognise jesus as well so he gets twice the rep.
    More following = more influential? Note that the author is not a Muslim...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    I was going to ask that. And putting Karl marx at #3 is laughable. His influence since the early 20th century has been huge, but of all time?

Shouldn't Martin Luther be on there somewhere?

Bit of a joke that Charles Darwin is not on that list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    I think Thud manages to scrape herself into the top 20.
    :cool: i do try.

(Original post by Gilliwoo)
    stalin & kaganovitch were quite the fans apparently, as were hitler and mussolini.

ReputationRep:
    William Shockley was certainly one of the most influential people in history - he helped create the electronic age (although his political views were less brilliant).

ReputationRep:
    Near enough every major political leader claims inspiration from 'The Prince', from Hitler to Tony Blair.

ReputationRep:
    i dont get why Muhammad is over Jesus. Does having less, but more bigoted, followers knock you up the rankings? Jesus has also been integrated sort of culturally (i.e. not integrated in a soley religious sense) into western society, whilst Muhammad still maintains strictly relgious, from what I can gather anyway.

How the **** does Karl Marx get in, and Adam Smith doesnt even make the list? Nevermind Freidman. At least the latters' ideas WORK and are still in widespread use in sucsessful coutnries today. Cant say that for Marxism.

In terms of literature, you cant not put in Homer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    I was going to ask that. And putting Karl marx at #3 is laughable. His influence since the early 20th century has been huge, but of all time?

Shouldn't Martin Luther be on there somewhere?
    You could equally say that Luther's influence was huge only from the Edict of Worms to his death - in the present his influence is limited to followers of Christianity. There are probably less followers of Christianity than Communism. I mean most of the people listed as Christians are only assumed to be so. Few of them are active followers. The same applies to Communism, but there are far more assumed members. The WHOLE of China, for a start. When you add that to wide swathes of South America and a number of countries dotted around the globe, I imagine there are more. Indeed, the foundation of the Soviet Union can be linked back to Marx, since he heavily influenced Lenin. Its foundation subsequently led to the rise of Stalin, who (according to official figures, anyway) committed the world's largest genocide. Whilst this wasn't the direct influence of Marx, neither was any of Christianity after Jesus' death - in fact his teachings have very little to do with modern Christianity.

(Original post by Consie)
    i dont get why Muhammad is over Jesus. Does having less, but more bigoted, followers knock you up the rankings?
    Ah, our resident Islamophobic is here again, right on schedule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    You could equally say that Luther's influence was huge only from the Edict of Worms to his death - in the present his influence is limited to followers of Christianity. There are probably less followers of Christianity than Communism. I mean most of the people listed as Christians are only assumed to be so. Few of them are active followers. The same applies to Communism, but there are far more assumed members. The WHOLE of China, for a start. When you add that to wide swathes of South America and a number of countries dotted around the globe, I imagine there are more. Indeed, the foundation of the Soviet Union can be linked back to Marx, since he heavily influenced Lenin. Its foundation subsequently led to the rise of Stalin, who (according to official figures, anyway) committed the world's largest genocide. Whilst this wasn't the direct influence of Marx, neither was any of Christianity after Jesus' death - in fact his teachings have very little to do with modern Christianity.
    You're aware the the Enlightenment, rise of liberalism, the nation state and every other political and economic system after Martin Luther draws on the reformation? Whilst Communism has forged the map of Europe as we know it, the reason why Europe (And consequently the rest of the world) developed why it did can be attributed or affected by the split between the Christian movements.

And to say that there are more followers of Communism than Christianity is laughable, and plainly not true. There are over 1 billion Catholics registered on censuses and polls worldwide; you're comparing this with scattered support of an outdated political ideal from the 1800's?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether you can include inventors in this or not. Certainly someone like say, Tim Berners-Lee, with the internet, has revolutionised the world as we know it (not least thanks to TSR) but he has done that through his work, rather than people taking influence from his person. So I don't think someone like Shockley really figures either, as important as his work was. But then again, they are still influencing the world as a direct result of their actions, so I don't really know.

Thomas Edison?

Also my vote is also with Luther.

ReputationRep:
    Edison should be there somewhere, I agree.

And Luther is pretty significant. But I'm sitting on the fence with regards to him.

ReputationRep:
    I agree there is an argument to put Luther on the list, but I would put him 8th or 9th at the highest. And to the people discussing the official numbers of Christians... OFFICIALLY, 30.06% of the world are Christian, whilst only 2.35% are listed as atheist. I think it is fair to say that there are some big questions regarding how relevant these statistics are today. I probably know about 200 people, and only about 5-10% of those are practising Christians at the most, but I bet that a lot of them still describe themselves as Christians. I think (and this is based on a guess) that if you went to an officially Muslim country, the rate of people who are actually practising followers would be far higher.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, our resident Islamophobic is here again, right on schedule.

Ay nobed, stop characterising me as a daily mail reading uber right wing dude.

Other arguemtns as to why Jesus should be higher is that hes been most popular in the west, and given the west has dominated the world for the best part of 400 years, Jesus gets to piggyback on that dominance.

I'd also put Plato in over Aristotle, given he was a disiple of Plato. Fair enough, you can say Aristotle taught Alexander the Great (dont know why he isnt on the list, but he was more jsut a legend in his own time that we read about, rather than a person who irrevocalby changed the world), but he got several of his ideas, and many of his innovations, we based around what Plato originally said. I guess you can argue 'well if your putting Plato in then you've got to put Socrates in before that' but there isnt actually much proof Socrates exsits, and there is debate over how much our records of Socrates are representative of pure Socratic thought, or have been merged with Platonic innovations, also, some argue Socrates was just a medium through which Plato could convey his ideas. So i think Plato should definately be on there.

ReputationRep:
    Ay nobed, stop characterising me as a daily mail reading uber right wing dude.
    Such refined rebuttal. Give me one shred of evidence that the religion of Islam (the religion, not some perverted interpretation of it) is inherently bigoted. It's simply not a justifiable statement.

Other arguemtns as to why Jesus should be higher is that hes been most popular in the west, and given the west has dominated the world for the best part of 400 years, Jesus gets to piggyback on that dominance.
    So you wish to utterly ignore the entire Ottoman Empire?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.