Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ii

ReputationRep:
    depends which research council u apply to. having a low 2.1 or a high 1st wont make the slightest difference for esrc open comp (which is your main council). its an explicit rule - a 2.1 from any institution is all you need, with no further set back on the level of 2.1 (coz no additional marks are given for a high 2.1;/first)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    depends which research council u apply to. having a low 2.1 or a high 1st wont make the slightest difference for esrc open comp (which is your main council). its an explicit rule - a 2.1 from any institution is all you need, with no further set back on the level of 2.1 (coz no additional marks are given for a high 2.1;/first)

Does the AHRC take a first, high 2:1 into consideration or do they just care about a 2:1 and above?

ReputationRep:
    i used to assume not, but according to others they do.

you fall under the esrc though, so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    The extreme majority of AHRC-funded people have firsts / high firsts. I've known loads of people with 2:1s who have applied and been rejected by the AHRC numerous times. In my experience, unless you have extenuating circumstances, a 2:1 isn't enough for AHRC funding. Of course, if you have a great propsal and references, that will help. Particularly if the references give good reasons why you haven't got a first. But the AHRC won't fund you for a PhD unless you do a Master's first, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    i wonder if those with firsts make better proposals or rather those with firsts are given a lot of weight on degree grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    i used to assume not, but according to others they do.

you fall under the esrc though, so don't worry about it.
    I've been hearing conflicting advice. For politics I've been told it's ESRC but for political theory its AHRC? Anyone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    check out the websites - they detail what they fund by category/subcategory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    The extreme majority of AHRC-funded people have firsts / high firsts. I've known loads of people with 2:1s who have applied and been rejected by the AHRC numerous times. In my experience, unless you have extenuating circumstances, a 2:1 isn't enough for AHRC funding. Of course, if you have a great propsal and references, that will help. Particularly if the references give good reasons why you haven't got a first. But the AHRC won't fund you for a PhD unless you do a Master's first, unfortunately.
    that's interesting & quite possibly good to know

Best advice is check both the relevent websites. AHRC has a very indepth booklet you can download about applying and what subjects they cover. But like Boosh says, think AHRC require an MA before PhD to get funding

ReputationRep:
    do the arts and humanities use the new route phd, or is it more for the social sciences?

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2.2 and got an ESRC funded PhD.

ReputationRep:
    I have been told many times by academics that AHRC funding is nigh impossible to come by without a 1st (or a distinction at masters level), but the AHRC's own stats suggest it does happen:

http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/about/ke/evalu...statistics.asp

Seem to recall posting this link somewhere before...and I know this thread is mostly about ESRC. But here it is anyway for anyone who is interested and too lazy to go hunting for it themselves.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.