Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most controversial moments from the Olympic games Watch

• TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    As the question says, what controversial moments from the Olympics came you remember seeing, I got a couple videos below

This one the infamous basketball game from 1972 between USA and USSR when they allowed an extra three seconds long enough for USSR to snatch victory
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    That clash in athletics between Zola Budd and Mary Decker the LA games 1984 around 7 minutes into the video.

ReputationRep:
    My brother was telling me how (I think it was Judo), Israel beat Egypt and the Israel contender went to shake hands with the Egyptian contender but the Egyptian contender walked off. He was probably annoyed and angry and the tiff between Muslims and Jews is already on high.

ReputationRep:
    Hosting it in Brazil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Hosting it in Brazil
    Nope.

How about hosting the Winter Games in a warm coastal resort some 25 miles from the snow?
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    Great game but controversial at the end

ReputationRep:
    The woman who dived for the finish line in the 400m to get gold yesterday.
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    USA Ladies Football team saying that Sweden played like cowards after losing to them.

ReputationRep:
    Munich 1972 surely?

Although that may be more shocking than controversial. Controversial maybe these:

Owens in 1936 being snubbed by Hitler.
    Africans withdraw from 76 Olympics and US from 80.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    In the boxing this year, they've admitted some of the judging was not up to standard (i.e. wrong, biased etc) and have stopped those judges from being involved in any more matches.

I think one of the British boxers was one disadvantaged by this and knocked out incorrectly, but apparently the rules state the results still stand.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Boxing this year two boxing decisions levit and Conlan were gobsmackingly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Munich 1972 surely?

Although that may be more shocking than controversial. Controversial maybe these:

Africans withdraw from 76 Olympics and US from 80.
    Urban myth, never actually happened.

William J. Baker, Owens's biographer, says the newspapers made up the whole story. Owens himself originally insisted it wasn't true, but eventually he began saying it was, apparently out of sheer boredom with the issue.

(Original post by RK)
    In the boxing this year, they've admitted some of the judging was not up to standard (i.e. wrong, biased etc) and have stopped those judges from being involved in any more matches.

I think one of the British boxers was one disadvantaged by this and knocked out incorrectly, but apparently the rules state the results still stand.
    Same thing happened in London, actually.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

And it happens every Olympics in boxing...

ReputationRep:
    Jason Kenny and Mark Cavendish should've been disqualified and GB coaches pressuring cyling judging officials to not disqualify them.

I mean rules are rules and they broke the rules!

Bad inconsistent judging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuniaDragon)
    Jason Kenny and Mark Cavendish should've been disqualified and GB coaches pressuring cyling judging officials to not disqualify them.

I mean rules are rules and they broke the rules!

Bad inconsistent judging.
    4 riders could have disqualified from the Keirin, but with no camera on the line the judges couldn't prove who had done what. If you can't prove it, you can't penalise it.

Cav didn't break any rules.

Jealousy does nasty things to people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    4 riders could have disqualified from the Keirin, but with no camera on the line the judges couldn't prove who had done what. If you can't prove it, you can't penalise it.

Cav didn't break any rules.

Jealousy does nasty things to people...
    Spoken like a true Brexiter.

ReputationRep:
    Spoken like a true Brexiter.
    Spoken like a true idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Spoken like a true idiot
    Oh man. The only idiot is the "oh no I am not a selfish *******, it actually is the better option" moron.

ReputationRep:
    I know Drewski already answered this but I just wanted to add a couple of details (which I am stealing from QI). Hitler initially only congratulated German winners but after his advisors said that this gave a bad impression, he decided to congratulate nobody. Jesse Owens was not snubbed as everybody else received the same treatment.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.