The Student Room Group

University stationary essentials!

Hi guys, I'm going to uni next month so what essential stationary would you suggest I'd have to buy as I'm doing Life Sciences at UCL, I'm so excited!!!

Please help, thanks!!
Reply 1
Start with the basics: do you have one pen and a pad of paper?
If so proceed to section B

Section B: You're good to go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Pens, notebooks, scientific calculator, a pencil. That's pretty much it.
When I started (I'm a Life Science student as well :tongue:) I went really over the top and brought pretty much the whole of the stationery aisle in Tesco. In reality all I used was a notebook, pen, pencil in labs and a few sticky notes around revision time. I didn't even use my calculator because we were taught how to work things out on Excel with the data there.

I love buying stationery so I know how tempting it is to get everything, but if I were you I'd spend your money on getting a few really nice things instead of everything you can think of!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Firefly13

I love buying stationary

I try and make all my purchasing while stationary. I hate walking round the shops, so use the internet as much as possible, meaning I can be stationary in my desk seat while doing so. I have even bought stationery while stationary.
Original post by Good bloke
I try and make all my purchasing while stationary. I hate walking round the shops, so use the internet as much as possible, meaning I can be stationary in my desk seat while doing so. I have even bought stationery while stationary.

Haha, oops. Lets just blame that on autocorrect? :colondollar:
Haha, oops. Lets just blame that on autocorrect? :colondollar:

Let's blame nothing on autocorrect, which is a tool capable of being misused or of being used intelligently.
Original post by Good bloke
Let's blame nothing on autocorrect, which is a tool capable of being misused or of being used intelligently.

Okay, sorry. Thanks for pointing it out I guess? :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Beer, beer is the one thing you will always need at university
I went really over the top and brought pretty much the whole of the stationery isle in Tesco.

Do you think the stationery would be cheaper if they kept it on the mainland?
Original post by nulli tertius
Do you think the stationery would be cheaper if they kept it on the mainland?

That whole post was a bit of a mess, wasn't it? I'll just go and watch the shame scene from Game of Thrones to atone for my spelling sins :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bishbashbosh123
Hi guys, I'm going to uni next month so what essential stationary would you suggest I'd have to buy as I'm doing Life Sciences at UCL, I'm so excited!!!

Please help, thanks!!

Hello - Congratulations! :biggrin:

When it comes to university stationary essentials, I'd say they are these:
- A couple of note books/note pads. (One for rough notes and the other for writing notes up on neat).
- A new pack of pens - nice ones!
- A new pack of highlighters (highlighters become your best friends!)
- Plastic folders to put handouts in!
- A ring binder to put the notepads in.
- Maybe a new pencil case if want?

Etc.

I started university with a lot of this stuff however, by Christmas I'd purchased an iPad Mini for university and note taking and it was the best decision I ever made. Technology in lectures is widely useful!

Good luck :smile:
I love buying stationery. For uni though, you really don't need as much as you'd expect, as the work is very different to A-levels

One folder/ringbinder per module, with plastic wallets

Pens, pencils, rulers, rubbers

Calculator

Scissors and sellotape - I never actually used these for my uni work, but they're just useful for life in general

Gluestick and hole puncher - I never actually used these at all this year, but you may find them useful anyway

If you have savings from part-time work then I would definitely recommend buying a cheap printer before you go - for about £40 you can get one that prints in colour and does double-sided. It will last the whole of your degree, if not longer, and is honestly so convenient to have. The paper is cheap, however ink can be pricey :/

Cheap notepads

Don't really need a pencil case - I just put a couple of pens, a pencil and a highlighter in the bottom of my bag - that was all I needed

I personally found that the best way to organise your notes is to print the lecture notes/slides from BlackBoard (or whatever online site your uni uses) the night before, add to these notes during the lectures, then when you get home add to these further by using your textbook, seminar work & extra reading. I would then type these up, and finally make spider diagrams from the typed-up sheets :smile:
My honest advice is go with one notebook, pen and paper and see how you feel after week one.

I bought a massive haul of Oxford notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighters, stabilo pens, sharpies, folders yada yada and by week 2, decided handwriting my notes wasn't the way forward and bought a laptop. I now have loads of stationery I don't need lol

I love stationery so thought it was a no brainer but you just won't know what works best for you until you start

Blog: www.thenubianrapunzel.com
I guess on your course you will need a calculator?

Other than that a pen and some paper will do you. Further than that it's personal preference, do you want a folder to keep work in? several to store different modules separately? coloured pens/highlighters for notes?
--------------------------------------
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending