Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think I need a bro bulk and it's looking like I will have the time amongst other goals to not care about my weight for a few months. I don't want my legs to get bigger to the extent that's avoidable. My back and shoulders look good but I don't care if they get bigger. I'm sometimes not convinced my upper pecs exist and biceps are under developed. My tris and lower pecs are fine but there's room for improvement.

I know nothing about bodybuilding stuff so feedback would be appreciated. I plan to still get in strength training but my plan is just to squeeze in some more high rep stuff around what I would be doing anyway. I'm not sure that's the best plan, I'm not adverse to re-structuring strength round the vanity project. I maybe could do with breaking my habit of 3 lifts then out but I don't know what else to do- gym is all free weights, no machines or cable.

Bench: strength programme
    Chins: volume, easy
    Incline bench: 5x10 with whatever feels heavy
    Curls: 5x10 feeling heavy

Front squat: strength programme
    DB row: strength
    Farmers: strength

Paused bench: strength
    Chins: volume, easy
    Incline DB flies: 3x10, heavy but less volume because I'm not sure my shoulders will like them
    Curls: 5x10 feeling heaby

Trap bar deadlift: strength
    Yoke: whatever I feel like
    Maybe some extra core
    Weighed pull up: strength

ReputationRep:
    If you're training 4 days a week (or on a 4 day rotation), maybe have two strength days and then two lighter days? I've always gotten my best results splitting my routine up like that. I generally train on a modified upper/lower split.

So for upper day one and lower day one, I train Dorian Yates style - warmup sets as needed, then one set to total muscular failure finished off with either a dropset, partials, rest-pause or some cheats for extra negatives. I generally stick to 6-8 reps and stick to freeweight compounds. So these are my heavy days, these would be your strength days if you like.

Then for the next upper and lower days, I go higher reps, shorter rests, do more machine and cable work and generally go for volume and pumps. I most often use Vince Gironda principles, doing straight sets of 6x6 or 8x8, 30 second rests between sets and avoiding training to failure. These types of programs are shunned by natties normally, but when they're not used as a sole method of lifting and you're still getting your heavy compounds in then they might serve you well. Some areas of your musculature might tend to respond well to light training.

ReputationRep:
    Try something like GZCL? Sounds perfect for you. I've seen your journal and presume you're around the upper intermediate stage?

ReputationRep:
    Oh another is possibly Dan Green Boss Barbell Method

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Try something like GZCL? Sounds perfect for you. I've seen your journal and presume you're around the upper intermediate stage?
    I'm comfortably into intermediate for strength but mass maybe not so much? I don't really know what the scale is. I'm 5ft5, about 66kg, lean enough to have a good ab outline without much definition between them

I've not got time to read up on your suggestions properly but will do at the weekend, thanks

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    If you're training 4 days a week (or on a 4 day rotation), maybe have two strength days and then two lighter days? I've always gotten my best results splitting my routine up like that. I generally train on a modified upper/lower split.

So for upper day one and lower day one, I train Dorian Yates style - warmup sets as needed, then one set to total muscular failure finished off with either a dropset, partials, rest-pause or some cheats for extra negatives. I generally stick to 6-8 reps and stick to freeweight compounds. So these are my heavy days, these would be your strength days if you like.

Then for the next upper and lower days, I go higher reps, shorter rests, do more machine and cable work and generally go for volume and pumps. I most often use Vince Gironda principles, doing straight sets of 6x6 or 8x8, 30 second rests between sets and avoiding training to failure. These types of programs are shunned by natties normally, but when they're not used as a sole method of lifting and you're still getting your heavy compounds in then they might serve you well. Some areas of your musculature might tend to respond well to light training.
    3x a week usually but 4 session training week, I'm not sure how that happened come to think of it. There was probably good logic at one point but I could fit training round my life, other training and space in the gym better round my routine if I went to 3 sessions.

Maybe something like:

Bench:heavy 3-5 with volume drop sets
    Incline bench: same
    Chins for easy volume
    curls for easy volume

usual strength work
    Squat
    Deadlift
    DB row/weighted pull up
    moving event

Pump session
    Incline DB fly
    EZ curls
    DB bench
    skull crusher
    hammer curls
    DB tri extensions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I'm comfortably into intermediate for strength but mass maybe not so much? I don't really know what the scale is. I'm 5ft5, about 66kg, lean enough to have a good ab outline without much definition between them
    Sorry I was getting you confused with Gone Revising, anyway yeah, its basically a concurrent style similar to Westside, intensity first and focus on a 3-5 rep range for a primary movement and finish with accessories. The powerlifter who made GZCL has good videos on his channel explaining it and has close to a 450 Wilks. I'd definitely recommend it if you want to up the volume and its very flexible.

Yeah you have room for mass I think, my cousin is at an advanced level at 5'5 and he's 20% bf at 83kg or thereabouts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    3x a week usually but 4 session training week, I'm not sure how that happened come to think of it. There was probably good logic at one point but I could fit training round my life, other training and space in the gym better round my routine if I went to 3 sessions.
    I reckon then, maybe a couple of strength sessions and a pump session at the end of the week. Maybe a push-pull, then a full-body? So maybe something like:

PUSH strength

Bench
    OHP
    Squats
    Skullcrushers

PULL strength

Chins
    Rows
    Deadlifts
    Curls

FULL-BODY volume

Incline bench or flyes (alternate between sessions)
    Lateral raises
    Pulldowns
    Face pulls
    Leg press
    Leg curls or calf raises (alternate between sessions)
    Cable curls
    Overhead extensions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.