The Student Room Group

My nails are ruined after acrylics.. HELP!!

After having acrylics nails done at a salon every month for the last year and a half, my nails are so damaged, weak and brittle. I want to stop having acrylics and change to a less damaging procedure which won't ruin my nails, such as gels or just painting my natural nails. My nails have never been the best, they break easily, grow at a slow rate and when they finally get to a nice length they are so weak, they break everytime I catch them! How can I repair my nails and once they're back to normal, how can I get them strong and healthy and able to grow without being dry and brittle? I have attached a picture of them now after the damage the acrylics have done to show you how they are. Any advice, tips and comments would be appreciated:smile:image.jpg
Oh the horror! Honey mine look worse than that after 5 minutes in woodwork class, I think you'll live.
Original post by Kirstenmarie
After having acrylics nails done at a salon every month for the last year and a half, my nails are so damaged, weak and brittle. I want to stop having acrylics and change to a less damaging procedure which won't ruin my nails, such as gels or just painting my natural nails. My nails have never been the best, they break easily, grow at a slow rate and when they finally get to a nice length they are so weak, they break everytime I catch them! How can I repair my nails and once they're back to normal, how can I get them strong and healthy and able to grow without being dry and brittle? I have attached a picture of them now after the damage the acrylics have done to show you how they are. Any advice, tips and comments would be appreciated:smile:

Gels are still bad for your nails. If I were you I'd get just a regular manicure & polish every month instead of gels or acrylics. With some time, your nails will get stronger.
Original post by Hamo2509
Gels are still bad for your nails. If I were you I'd get just a regular manicure & polish every month instead of gels or acrylics. With some time, your nails will get stronger.

Thank you! Do you have any idea how I can repair them first and get rid of all the white bits on my nails?
Thank you! Do you have any idea how I can repair them first and get rid of all the white bits on my nails?

I don't think you can, you just have to wait for it to grow out
After having acrylics nails done at a salon every month for the last year and a half, my nails are so damaged, weak and brittle. I want to stop having acrylics and change to a less damaging procedure which won't ruin my nails, such as gels or just painting my natural nails. My nails have never been the best, they break easily, grow at a slow rate and when they finally get to a nice length they are so weak, they break everytime I catch them! How can I repair my nails and once they're back to normal, how can I get them strong and healthy and able to grow without being dry and brittle? I have attached a picture of them now after the damage the acrylics have done to show you how they are. Any advice, tips and comments would be appreciated:smile:image.jpg

Did you take the nails off yourself?, like rip them off? Thats what usually leaves them marks. No solution I'm afraid except wait for it to grow out.

Your nails are going to be very weak until they grow out unfortunately, that is just the nature of a poor acrylic application and removal over a long period of time, gels are not much better really so I wouldn't recommend doing that to often unless you just get a gel manicure (so no forms, extensions etc. just gel polish on your natural nail).

My recommendations for now is get some nail hardener (nail polish form) and make sure you keep your cuticles moisturised and healthy.
Original post by natalie427
Did you take the nails off yourself?, like rip them off? Thats what usually leaves them marks. No solution I'm afraid except wait for it to grow out.

I tried soaking them in acetone but it didn't work properly so I had to pull them off a little bit
You just have to wait unfortunately, let your nails grow out and stay away from acrylics/gel for a while - it's hard :frown: but when your nails are stronger, its so much better!
Reply 9
get some nail oil pens off of Amazon and make sure you use it every chance you get, STAY AWAY FROM NAIL HARDENER. You want your nails to be moist so that they bounce back from bending,nail hardener dries them out and makes them brittle as hell! Keep them painted for a protective layer, I'd suggest a clear polish until the broken nail layers grow out so you can avoid bumps but you do you!
Reply 10
Get a nail hardier and soak your nails in the following formula for a good 5 days for 15mins.Ingredients are 1/2 cup of warm water1 teaspoon of olive oil1 teaspoon of salt1 tspoon of lemon juiceFew drops of vitamin E oilI am recently recovering from acrylic extensions and what I am doing to recover is using a nail hardener, taking 10,000 MG of biotin and soaking my nails for 15mins once very week.It is not magic but it will help get your nails back on track.
Don't get your nails done for a while and let them grow. You will find there so much better without.
There are vitamins you can take which will increase the strength of hair and nails, maybe look into them? Also, putting a coat of nail polish or even clear nail polish will make them less brittle

Latest

Trending

Trending