The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
visesh
do you remember which essay you wrote for part 3? i think i did the organ trafficking one.

the fact that i broke up with my gf of just over 50 weeks about 10 minutes before the exam didnt help much either :rolleyes:

Poor dude, we both have excuses now!

I did organ one too. Stupidly didn't realise that I only had one side and started going on about "we shouldn't allow people from council estates to donate sperm/ova" cos they will only pass on "stupid genes" with every intention of argueing against it afterwards, but then realised I had two lines to finish in (made them count for 5or6 but my fascist statement stood!)... I have no idea how they let me in!!!

Which one did you get the 6.7 on? We had the same average score :redface:)

Are you doing med or vet? Which college? I'm off to Girton, so I'll need a, airplane to get to lectures each morning...
Reply 21
polthegael
Poor dude, we both have excuses now!

I did organ one too. Stupidly didn't realise that I only had one side and started going on about "we shouldn't allow people from council estates to donate sperm/ova" cos they will only pass on "stupid genes" with every intention of argueing against it afterwards, but then realised I had two lines to finish in (made them count for 5or6 but my fascist statement stood!)... I have no idea how they let me in!!!

Which one did you get the 6.7 on? We had the same average score :redface:)

Are you doing med or vet? Which college? I'm off to Girton, so I'll need a, airplane to get to lectures each morning...

i kinda went off topic and started talking about poverty in the third-world :rolleyes: i think tham my college read my essay. when they asked me what im going to to in my gap year, they suggested that i do an english language/literature course at my local college :redface:

got the 6.7 on the science one. those logic ones were not something id like to do again to be honest.

doing medicine (grades permitting) at king's college from 2005.
Reply 22
soz to post again. pol, y dont u post a thread on the oxford forum too? that way we could see which uni has better prospective students.... :rolleyes:
Reply 23
visesh
i kinda went off topic and started talking about poverty in the third-world :rolleyes:

It's not that off topic - I went on about that too, how it exploitation to give someone a choice to sell organs or starve. I said same thing about here - what top proffessionals are going to go to donate sperm for £20 a go at a local hospital? It's only going to be the poorer in our society who are tempted by stuff like that, thus giving rich couples (who can afford IVF) the choice between no family or a family with children with "stupid genes", if such things exist!

Anyway... I hope to see you in October :redface:)
Reply 24
thats how i got started on poverty. then i went on about the IMF and WTOs attempts at helping the third world. then went off on a political tangent.....

managed to get back to the organ side of the topic after about half a side :rolleyes:
Reply 25
polthegael
What did you all get on your BMAT?

I applied in 2001, so didn't take it, I'm afraid. :frown: I took the MVAT, which was still damn scary, and got AA for it (they give As to the top 20% on each paper I think, so it doesn't mean that much)
Reply 26
Helenia
I applied in 2001, so didn't take it, I'm afraid. :frown: I took the MVAT, which was still damn scary, and got AA for it (they give As to the top 20% on each paper I think, so it doesn't mean that much)

Well done anyway, you could well have been the top scorer overall in a system like that! :smile:
Reply 27
polthegael
Well done anyway, you could well have been the top scorer overall in a system like that! :smile:

Somehow, seeing even just the people round here, I doubt it :frown:
Reply 28
Helenia
Somehow, seeing even just the people round here, I doubt it :frown:

Oh, the great prize of intellectual normality is yours as well then :smile:

I'd hate to stick out and get loads more pressure put on me. It's good to be average!
Reply 29
polthegael
Oh, the great prize of intellectual normality is yours as well then :smile:

I'd hate to stick out and get loads more pressure put on me. It's good to be average!

Well, in terms of Cambridge students, yes I'm fairly normal. I was a freak at school, and got rather used to being at the top; so while I haven't been a crashing failure (I got a decent 2:1 this year) it's still somewhat of a humbling experience :redface:
polthegael
It's not that off topic - I went on about that too, how it exploitation to give someone a choice to sell organs or starve. I said same thing about here - what top proffessionals are going to go to donate sperm for £20 a go at a local hospital? It's only going to be the poorer in our society who are tempted by stuff like that, thus giving rich couples (who can afford IVF) the choice between no family or a family with children with "stupid genes", if such things exist!

Anyway... I hope to see you in October :redface:)

Ahh but would you not say that the people most likely to want the money would be the students, supposedly the "intellectual elite" of the nation? :smile:
Reply 31
Helenia
Well, in terms of Cambridge students, yes I'm fairly normal. I was a freak at school, and got rather used to being at the top; so while I haven't been a crashing failure (I got a decent 2:1 this year) it's still somewhat of a humbling experience :redface:

Tell me about it... I think it's going to be like that for me too... but I don't mind, I'm so full of myself that I need to be brought down a peg or two, as they say :smile:
Reply 32
magicalsausage
Ahh but would you not say that the people most likely to want the money would be the students, supposedly the "intellectual elite" of the nation? :smile:

O-k, point taken... I'm damn glad you didn't read/assess my paper or I'd definitely have failed! :smile:
Reply 33
polthegael
Tell me about it... I think it's going to be like that for me too... but I don't mind, I'm so full of myself that I need to be brought down a peg or two, as they say :smile:

Are you doing GEP, or normal undergrad medicine?
Reply 34
Helenia
Are you doing GEP, or normal undergrad medicine?

The normal one... I don't like the sound of the GEP... It seems to have too much patient contact for me. I'd be off to Leicester if I wanted that sorta stuff! I fancied a nice science course with the choice to do random things in the third year... Physics, Ecology, Irish and Law all seem quite appealing right now!

I guess that's the same for all of us - if we wanted to deal with sick people, we'd not have applied to Oxbridge! :smile:

The prospect of the house officer year is scaring the hell out of me though! I like the idea of a wee office with no blood and guts everywhere (thus I plan to go into psychiatry)!

Latest

Trending

Trending