Turn on thread page Beta

Anyway finish Uni months ago and still not have a job? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting to that stressed stage whereby I don't have a job, and the applications I sent aren't looking promising. Really i've just started this thread to see if anyone else was in a similar position...

Im gonna ring an agent tomorrow and just hope he can find something for me, im running out of places to apply that accept 2:2s !

ReputationRep:
    I took some time out after uni until September before looking for jobs (Navy application but changed my mind) and managed to find a non-graduate job in January. Get paid a graduate starting salary now so look around for non-graduate jobs if there are any, you get an advantage having a degree and its better than no job at all.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes the "Graduate Jobs" are pretty over-rated. Generally they're good for people who like to get an overall experience of the company for a specified "training period" before going in to their field. However, as mentioned definitely look for non-graduate jobs too; ok, the starting salary may be a few grand less but if it's a big enough company there's always potential to move up very quickly if you can demonstrate the potential. It may take an extra 6-12 months, but soon you'll be on par (if not better - with experience) with most "graduate" jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Did you see in the news last week that four out of ten of last year's graduates are unemployed still and many have minimum wage shop assistant type jobs.

ReputationRep:
    No surprise really - especially with so much competition from so called "graduate entry" jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Been rejected from 2 jobs that Im more than capable of doing, getting depressing now

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you need to look at your approach? Are you sending the same CV and similar covering letters to all the applications? I always get someone to look over my CV and actively tell them to criticise me on it. Remember the CV is where you're advertising yourself to get that particular job, so tailor it accordingly. If the job seems as though Sales is the most important skill, then have that stand out right at the top of your CV. Yes, ok it is tedious but it's what we have to do if we want to stand out from the competition.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I edit my CV/Covering letter appropriately... I got rejected from one cause I didn't meet their 1 month office experience requirement (I assume).

The other one rejected me after a personality test, but I think it's more that they caught on I wanted only experience to move onto greater jobs

ReputationRep:
    What I would say then is not to give up. Keep pressing on and something will eventually turn up. Ok, it might not be ideal or perfect but if it's bringing in money and more importantly, experience, then it would be worth it.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.