The Student Room Group

Pharmacy?

Hello everyone. I have just finished my A-levels and I am really interested in pharmacology and medicines, I love learning about what drugs do to the body and the body to the drug. I am so interested in the way that medicines work, what pathways they use, they way the work with hormones and neurotransmitters etc.
I feel like pharmacy is what I should study but I've heard lots of negative reasons to avoid pharmacy. I'm not thinking gosh I really want to study pharmacy I just think based on my interests it's what I should pick.
I would love to do medicine but I really don't have the grades and to be realistic do not think I am intelligent enough, so I have thought about nursing and becoming a prescriber later on, working in emergency care settings etc.
Could i have some advice on what people think I should pick?
Thanks- Emilia.
I was in pretty much the same boat a few years ago (minus knowing about the reality of Pharmacy unfortunately!) and have now finished my first year at uni. In essence I am now dropping out to get more nursing work experience ready to apply next year. Unfortunately for that you'd only really study the action of drugs as a further reading thing out of your own interest.
Pharmacology or biochemistry might be worth considering? I know some unis have a transferal to medicine following completion of a pharmacology degree but I wouldn't do a course solely based on that reason.
There's nothing wrong with not knowing what to do! I would suggest now that you go out and try and get as much work experience as you can in different areas. You will be studying the course, sure, but it's after the degree that you have to deal with for longer. I wouldn't completely eliminate Pharmacy just yet, but explore before you commit to something. I think that was my mistake! I went into it for the same reasons as you but I don't think I'd looked fully at what happens after the degree.
I did work experience at a pharmacy and I ditched it last minute it was so boring 😑 Like all you do is give people medicine and use a till 😁
It's your choice but what about a job in a hospital where you can use them medicines but without the boring stuff. Maybe in A&E or something? ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending