Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiiii! So I have a trial shift in a small cafe for a part time summer job tomorow, and I have no past experience working in a place that provides food and drink (this will be my first job) so I'm very nervous and unsure of what I should expect. Can anyone give me advice on how to impress the manager? What I should expect? And any advice would helpful really because I'm really determined to succeed tomorow.
    Thank youu!

ReputationRep:
    Café work can be stressful, so try and keep calm! (I've worked in a café before and my goodness, it was hectic). Keep your hands clean, hair tied back. Look smart? Um, be enthusiastic and open to learning new things - and don't worry about asking too many questions. It's better that you understand what you're doing (I don't know what they'll train you on first) than get too muddled! Your manager will understand :-)

Be polite to the team & customers... uh, and keep yourself busy! So, for instance, if you can't think of anything to do, don't just stand around mindlessly. Maybe clean a counter? Tidy the crockery? But I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellsy95)
    Café work can be stressful, so try and keep calm! (I've worked in a café before and my goodness, it was hectic). Keep your hands clean, hair tied back. Look smart? Um, be enthusiastic and open to learning new things - and don't worry about asking too many questions. It's better that you understand what you're doing (I don't know what they'll train you on first) than get too muddled! Your manager will understand :-)

Be polite to the team & customers... uh, and keep yourself busy! So, for instance, if you can't think of anything to do, don't just stand around mindlessly. Maybe clean a counter? Tidy the crockery? But I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck though!
    Thank you for the advice! I'll try best to do all these things, hopefully it'll go alright I'll just be nervous at first lol

ReputationRep:
    There is only one piece of advice for working somewhere like a cafe. If you have nothing to do, find something to do. Clear tables, load / unload the dishwasher, open the door for customers. Just don't stand around looking like a Norman. And smile!

Good luck!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Think about food safety. You won't know all the details yet but there are obvious things you can do.
    Make sure you wash your hands regularly.
    Tie your hair back.
    Don't put your fingers in food or drink when carrying it.
    Change gloves regularly if you wear them.
    Don't handle raw food then cooked food (when preparing food; you're fine to take out a plate of salad and a jacket potato at the same time).
    Don't touch meat and then vegetables without washing hands or changing gloves - vegetarians don't like that.
    Don't bite your nails, scratch your bum or pick your nose in public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    There is only one piece of advice for working somewhere like a cafe. If you have nothing to do, find something to do. Clear tables, load / unload the dishwasher, open the door for customers. Just don't stand around looking like a Norman. And smile!

Good luck!
    Okay thank you! I should be able to do this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Think about food safety. You won't know all the details yet but there are obvious things you can do.
    Make sure you wash your hands regularly.
    Tie your hair back.
    Don't put your fingers in food or drink when carrying it.
    Change gloves regularly if you wear them.
    Don't handle raw food then cooked food (when preparing food; you're fine to take out a plate of salad and a jacket potato at the same time).
    Don't touch meat and then vegetables without washing hands or changing gloves - vegetarians don't like that.
    Don't bite your nails, scratch your bum or pick your nose in public.
    Thank you, I'll keep this in mind!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RoseXPurple)
    Thank you, I'll keep this in mind!
    And there should be several sinks, all for different things. Make sure you ask which is the hand washing sink and then use that for washing your hands only

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in 2 restaurants.
    First things first, use your initiative. Running out of cutlery? Get some clean stuff from the kitchen, and polish it. See a drinks ticket coming through and your colleagues are out on the floor? Make the drinks.
    Make sure you greet every customer that comes through the door. Don't ignore customers or your manager will not be impressed.
    Smile. Honestly, I'm not great at this, but I force myself to. Even if the customer is a proper ****, smile and be friendly.

Showing your initiative and your people skills are probably going to be the most important things when doing a trial shift. You won't be expected to know the menu off by heart and how every single dish is prepared, or how to make coffees. If you find yourself out of your depth, tell the customer you'll be right back, or that you will get someone else over.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure if you are unsure about something you just ask again rather than trying to do it with little confidence as you might end up doing it wrong. It is better to be certain on how to do something. Make eye contact with customers and be smiley! Stay calm and carry out tasks in a logical order (sounds stupid but you can try and complete too many things at once!) Try and relax!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cnutuk)
    I've worked in 2 restaurants.
    First things first, use your initiative. Running out of cutlery? Get some clean stuff from the kitchen, and polish it. See a drinks ticket coming through and your colleagues are out on the floor? Make the drinks.
    Make sure you greet every customer that comes through the door. Don't ignore customers or your manager will not be impressed.
    Smile. Honestly, I'm not great at this, but I force myself to. Even if the customer is a proper ****, smile and be friendly.

Showing your initiative and your people skills are probably going to be the most important things when doing a trial shift. You won't be expected to know the menu off by heart and how every single dish is prepared, or how to make coffees. If you find yourself out of your depth, tell the customer you'll be right back, or that you will get someone else over.
    Thank you, this is very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethhp)
    Make sure if you are unsure about something you just ask again rather than trying to do it with little confidence as you might end up doing it wrong. It is better to be certain on how to do something. Make eye contact with customers and be smiley! Stay calm and carry out tasks in a logical order (sounds stupid but you can try and complete too many things at once!) Try and relax!!
    I'll try my best to do all this! Thank you for the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.