Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student who has finished all of my education in Spain and am hoping to get accepted to the University of Leeds on results day. It appears that I actually have a UK passport (parents are British), and therefor I am unsure wether or not I am an EU student, and also if I am entitled to Maintenance fees as are UK students. Hope someone can give me advise on this matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fifitheflower)
    I'm a student who has finished all of my education in Spain and am hoping to get accepted to the University of Leeds on results day. It appears that I actually have a UK passport (parents are British), and therefor I am unsure wether or not I am an EU student, and also if I am entitled to Maintenance fees as are UK students. Hope someone can give me advise on this matter.
    Sorry, but you are not eligible for a Student Finance Maintenance Loan.

Entitlement to Maintenance Loans is based on UK residence, not nationality or citizenship. In order to qualify for the Maintenance Loan as an EU student, you must have lived in the UK for five full years before the start of your course. In addition, you must have moved to the UK for purposes other than education. As a Spanish resident, you would not qualify now, and as you are only coming to the UK for your degree, you will not be able to build up qualifying years of residence.

ReputationRep:
    If you are living in the EU and about to move to the UK prior to the start of your course, you will need to meet the residency criteria.

There is no harm in applying for Student Finance as an EU national but you will be assessed for a Tuition Fee Loan only.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.