Turn on thread page Beta

UK Politics - BNP & BBC1s "Secret Agent" Programme watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the leader of the BNP is racist. Who'd have thought it, eh?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3894529.stm

ReputationRep:
    I think the more interesting point, is whether he or his associates could be prosecuted for inciting racial hatred through their comments Nick Griffin has said that for some of the comments he is said to make on the BBC undercover programme that he could get "7 years outside of here"...however this could just be magnification and exagerration on the side of the BNP, which isn't unheard of :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think that attempting to send him to prison over just a speech would just lend legitimacy to his campaigns. It would make him a martyr for the extreme right. The best way to deal with the BNP is to expose actual crimes committed by it's members (a fair few of which appear to be described by this article) and deal with them as you would any criminal. On the political level the BNP must be met with calm and rational discourse, we must not sink to their level of mudslinging. When their message is one of some kind of liberal conspiracy, hype will only contribute to their cause.

ReputationRep:
    someones heading for a fall, and i suspect it wont be Griffin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    someones heading for a fall, and i suspect it wont be Griffin.
    who then? I dont understand your inference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    I dont understand your inference?
    which one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    which one?
    that someone other than griffin is heading for a fall (is inference a word it sounds like one in my head :confused: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    that someone other than griffin is heading for a fall (is inference a word it sounds like one in my head :confused: )
    Vienna implied and you inferred.
    It's an interesting question: If Griffin might get a prison sentence for saying something in public (I suspect he overstates when he says seven years actually), and someone else puts a private conversation in public, is he responsible?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently an impartial and apolitical broadcasting corporation is trying to interfer with the democratic political system, who'd have thought it, eh? :rolleyes:

When Mr. Griffin is talking about getting '7 years' he is talking about the extremist racial discrimination laws, whereby people can get longer prison sentences for saying 'paki' than they can for killing someone through dangerous driving.

Of course the BNP are going to have a few bad apples, this is mostly due to the media. Through their constant broadcasting of how the BNP are nazis, racists and violent thugs, it is common sense that those sort of people would think they are welcome in the BNP. Nick Griffin is taking a sensible course of action by banning these undesirables from the party.

The fact that these sort of people exist within the membership of the party does not make the party racist any more than the existence of paedophiles in the Liberal Democrats make their party advocates of paedophilia.

ReputationRep:
    Lets hope the guy in that programme gets more then 7 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Vienna implied and you inferred.
    It's an interesting question: If Griffin might get a prison sentence for saying something in public (I suspect he overstates when he says seven years actually), and someone else puts a private conversation in public, is he responsible?
    and is he wrong? i dont particuarly find his rather uneducated assessment of Islam that inaccurate, let alone offensive, let alone worthy of prosecution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    Of course the BNP are going to have a few bad apples, this is mostly due to the media. Through their constant broadcasting of how the BNP are nazis, racists and violent thugs, it is common sense that those sort of people would think they are welcome in the BNP. Nick Griffin is taking a sensible course of action by banning these undesirables from the party.
    But didn't that article say that the leader of the BNP was saying some racist things. It is just interesting because they have spent so long going on about how they aren't really racist ect and then there leader is found to be racist. It is hardly surprising really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    I don't think the media's been that harsh to BNP recently (until today). It's allowed them to highlight their apparent efforts to shake off their Nazi image and come across as well-presented politicians, representing the interests of the white Britons, and being more 'open' - the half Turkish member, and Griffin liasing with the Sikh community.

Tonight's documentary is going to put an end to it all. Tonight will be the start of BNP's fall from 'grace'. When 10m see the 'truth', it's going to crush the new "we're-not-racist BNP'"s newfound electorate of decent citizens concerned with asylum, non-white thugs, who will realise they were disillusioned by BNP's new squeaky-clean whiter than white (see what I did there) image.

Now *this* is investigative journalism. Jason Gwynne putting his life at threat for a groundbreaking story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    Apparently an impartial and apolitical broadcasting corporation is trying to interfer with the democratic political system, who'd have thought it, eh? :rolleyes:
    I''d call it invesitgative journalism at its best, for the public good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Tonight's documentary is going to put an end to it all. Tonight will be the start of BNP's fall from 'grace'. When 10m see the 'truth', it's going to crush the new "we're-not-racist BNP'"s newfound electorate of decent citizens concerned with asylum, non-white thugs, who will realise they were disillusioned by BNP's new squeaky-clean whiter than white (see what I did there) image.

Now *this* is investigative journalism. Jason Gwynne putting his life at threat for a groundbreaking story.
    Is It on tonight

ReputationRep:
    BBC1 tonight, 9pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    But didn't that article say that the leader of the BNP was saying some racist things. It is just interesting because they have spent so long going on about how they aren't really racist ect and then there leader is found to be racist. It is hardly surprising really.
    It isn't racist to criticise Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Far be it from me to back up the BNP, but do you not think this kind of thing is wrong?

People should have the right to vote for whoever they want and such negative publicity usually back-fires on you. An example of how that could happen here is if some apolitical thugs who would never have dreamed of voting before hear these extreme views and say "heh, that's what I think", and start to get actively involved - we start to have an even bigger problem. A few middle class voters voting for one group of right bigots over another (Mr Duncan Smith's crew, for example) will not affect British "democracy"...

Live and let live!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    It isn't racist to criticise Islam.
    Racist, no... Islam is a respected worldwide religion rather than a race of people so, no - it is not racist, but it's wrong and bigotted all the same...

ReputationRep:
    To be racist is not, and should not, be a crime, but to insite racial hatred and tell people to go out and do this and that against certain groups is, rightly, outlawed.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.