Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i've recently had a row with a friend who i have a crush on and my 'crush' said they also liked me but recently admitted that him liking me was 'just his way of having banter' (i failed to find this funny when he told me)
    our parents are close friends and i usually go to see them at big events (birthday parties, christmas, new years.. etc), i dont want to tell my parents that i have rowed with him but if i go to the events i dont want it to be really awkward as i have completely cut him out of my life for the past few weeks.
    i dont know whether to tell my parents about our row or just leave it and make up an excuse to not go to one of the events. (or i could go to one of the events and leave early if i feel uncomfortable but i would still have to explain why i was leaving)
    i usually tell my mum most of the things that are going on in my life but i just want to keep this one thing in particular to myself. plus my mum thinks we are both still close friends and that we still speak to eachother on a regular basis (which we don't anymore, little does my mum know that he is an utter douche). also our mothers are best friends which makes the situation even more awkward.
    i think i'm still in love with him, but at this point i'm so much happier with him gone. i really hope he realises his mistake but i don't think i can bear to see his face ever again and he made me feel so bad about myself & i dont know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i've recently had a row with a friend who i have a crush on and my 'crush' said they also liked me but recently admitted that him liking me was 'just his way of having banter' (i failed to find this funny when he told me)
    our parents are close friends and i usually go to see them at big events (birthday parties, christmas, new years.. etc), i dont want to tell my parents that i have rowed with him but if i go to the events i dont want it to be really awkward as i have completely cut him out of my life for the past few weeks.
    i dont know whether to tell my parents about our row or just leave it and make up an excuse to not go to one of the events. (or i could go to one of the events and leave early if i feel uncomfortable but i would still have to explain why i was leaving)
    i usually tell my mum most of the things that are going on in my life but i just want to keep this one thing in particular to myself. plus my mum thinks we are both still close friends and that we still speak to eachother on a regular basis (which we don't anymore, little does my mum know that he is an utter douche). also our mothers are best friends which makes the situation even more awkward.
    i think i'm still in love with him, but at this point i'm so much happier with him gone. i really hope he realises his mistake but i don't think i can bear to see his face ever again and he made me feel so bad about myself & i dont know what to do.
    Tell her, nothing wrong with truth.

ReputationRep:
    i usually tell my mum most of the things that are going on in my life but i just want to keep this one thing in particular to myself. plus my mum thinks we are both still close friends and that we still speak to each other on a regular basis (which we don't anymore, little does my mum know that he is an utter douche). also our mothers are best friends which makes the situation even more awkward.
    You started this by saying he was your crush, and ended by saying you're in love with him. They are two wildly different things for which I have two different pieces of advice.

If it's just a crush, you should still go to the events and stuff because eventually it will disappear and it won't be that big of a deal. Don't let him ruin you having a good time if he's already made you feel bad. Just show up looking hot as hell and he'll be kicking himself for not jumping when he had the chance.

If you're actually in love with this dude, I'd advise talking to your mom or just someone irl about it because that's way more serious and talking about it would help. Obviously seeing him at those things would cause a lot more stress. Explain what happened and that you don't want her to try to get involved (aka her telling the other mom and them trying to shoehorn you together) but that you'd rather not go to events where you might see him because of how bad it would make you feel.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to talk it out with him. You've had a break from each other so things should be calmer and he probably misses you, so he'll be open to sorting things out between you. Is he only a douche because he said "liking you was just his way of having banter"? Coz it sounds like he was trying to cover up the fact that he likes you because he's scared or unsure that u feel the same way. Give him a chance! By the sound of it u would still like to go out with him, so try n make it happen!

UPDATE----------
    we had a huge row yesterday and things went from bad to worse. i can't help but feel terrible but i can't forgive him for what he did to me. he "can't remember" saying that he ever had feelings for me and it hurts so much. i explained this to him and he still says that he can't remember. he says he's sorry and i think he blocked my number. i want to see him and talk it through but it might make things worse. i just want to hug it out so that we can just get on with our lives without there being any tension, but i'm 100% sure that i don't want to talk on the phone or text him after the confrontation.
    last night after our row (which was by text) i couldn't sleep so i told my mum everything, i felt so much better afterwards but some of the things he said to me hurt so much.
    it's sad because i really cared about him. we have been friends for almost my entire life and for almost a year we have been speaking on the phone and by text almost every day.
    i can't help feeling like a fool. he said that i reminded of him "of someone that he actually loved but he let them down", i'm guessing that he is referring to one of his past relationships in which he cheated on the girl with someone else.
    i want to see him in person and just talk through it all and leave it at that, i regret most of the stuff i texted him last night and i should have just left it and asked to meet up and talk about instead but my emotions got the better of me and i was just so angry at him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.