Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Going into computer science in September, what laptop should i get ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, i'm new here so I don't know if i'm posting in the right place, so I am going to Uni this September for a computer science degree and I'm going to be getting a new computer, now I was thinking of a Alienware 13, i7, 16gb Ram etc.. An i7 with 16gb of ram is more than enough for coding and running programs in my books, and it's also got a 960 graphics card so should be able to play most games on normal specs, but I was just wondering, what would be a normal computer to have for this course.

ReputationRep:
    Don't waste money on Alienware. Honestly you'd be better of just buying a decent Laptop or Desktop for around £400-£500 and using the computers in labs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Don't waste money on Alienware. Honestly you'd be better of just buying a decent Laptop or Desktop for around £400-£500 and using the computers in labs

I know that an Alienware is a lot of monney but I don't want to be buying another computer in a year or two, also an alienware would be powerfull enough for gaming as I said so i wouldn't need a desktop to play games which with a £400-500 computer would be hard, possible depending on the build but would be easyer on alienware, Do you know what the other students would have, I would of though that for CS you would need a powerfull computer but I looked online and it said you don't what would be the minimum build i would need ? I5 with 4gb ram ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most3rs)
    I know that an Alienware is a lot of monney but I don't want to be buying another computer in a year or two, also an alienware would be powerfull enough for gaming as I said so i wouldn't need a desktop to play games which with a £400-500 computer would be hard, possible depending on the build but would be easyer on alienware, Do you know what the other students would have, I would of though that for CS you would need a powerfull computer but I looked online and it said you don't what would be the minimum build i would need ? I5 with 4gb ram ?
    You want an I5 with 8GB ram. 4GB will work but RAM isn't that expensive so I don't see why you'd skip on it. By CS do you mean counter strike or Computer science, since you mentioned gaming? If you buy a desktop for around £600 (at most) you won't have to upgrade for years, and even if you do have to upgrade, all you'll need to replace is a part or two, at most. Not the entire system. Alienware is beyond ridiculous. You're a computer science student, I'd strongly recommend you custom build a PC instead.

ReputationRep:
    Alienware's, ugly and don't even last long. You might also get laughed at for having one

By the way, i'm not sure why you need a powerful computer for a CS degree?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by iHammmy)
    Alienware's, ugly and don't even last long. You might also get laughed at for having one

By the way, i'm not sure why you need a powerful computer for a CS degree?
    Agreed
    Plus they're overrated and overpriced asf.

ReputationRep:
    I got through the first year of my computing degree using a cheap 3 year-old (5 year-old now) laptop which had a 2.3GHz i3 processor, 4GB RAM and a slow mechanical hard drive. I still came out with a first. You don't need a supercomputer for a CS degree.

A better solution would to have a cheaper, low powered laptop for mobile computing and light gaming, and a powerful, custom-built desktop PC for more intensive workloads if you feel like you really need one.

ReputationRep:
    You're a computer science student, custom build a decent computer for like £600 and get a used laptop for like £50 to use to take notes and stuff in lectures.

You don't need a good laptop for lessons, if you need one, you'll be using the computer lab and using the computers there anyway. Laptops overheat and don't last long, especially when gaming. And upgrades are often way too expensive or even impossible so you have to buy a whole new laptop. With a desktop computer you can just upgrade it as you go by buying the hardware one by one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most3rs)
    Hi everyone, i'm new here so I don't know if i'm posting in the right place, so I am going to Uni this September for a computer science degree and I'm going to be getting a new computer, now I was thinking of a Alienware 13, i7, 16gb Ram etc.. An i7 with 16gb of ram is more than enough for coding and running programs in my books, and it's also got a 960 graphics card so should be able to play most games on normal specs, but I was just wondering, what would be a normal computer to have for this course.
    I'm starting comp sic in September at Brunel.

I would reccomend novatech as the specs are similar but they are cheaper and built in UK.

For my gaming / uni laptop I spent

£770 -5% through top cashback

I7-6700HQ

16GB ram

960M

Sandisk business class 256GB SSD 4K read speed

Extra's

Fingerprint scanner
    Disk driver
    Trusted platform module

ReputationRep:
    It all depends what you're even going to do in your degree, if you're going to take the more programming oriented route then get a good laptop. Something that has a Core i5 or above, atleast 8GB RAM and an SSD, HDD or even Hybrid HDD. Those are the kind of specs you need. For example, in my uni we did a lot of Java and so because I required IDEs such as IntelliJ Idea it was a good idea for me to get a good laptop. In the second year of my uni we're going to be doing android development which I know requires a lot of computing power, so that's what led me to buying this laptop.
    https://www.ballicom.co.uk/ux501vw-f....p1191540.html

It suits all my needs and does everything just fine, it's super power and I love it, good purchase and worth the money in my opinion. So yeah, just look at what you'd need for your course and get a laptop tailored to that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 11, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.