Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    An AP is given by k, 2k/3, k/3, 0, . . ..
    (i) Find the sixth term.
    Using a+(n-1)d I get k+5d but I don't know how to solve d.
    Please help!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by CounTolstoy)
    (i) Find the sixth term.
    Please help!
    I do not think there is a way of solving for k (without more information, though I am not doubting that you have provided the full question) but I think that they want the answer in terms of k.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (i) Find the sixth term.
    Please help!
    d is the distance between each term. In an arithmetic progression, d is constant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I do not think there is a way of solving for k (without more information, though I am not doubting that you have provided the full question) but I think that they want the answer in terms of k.
    You're right, I don't actually have to solve k but I don't know how to give the answer in terms of k without finding the value of d. This means I must figure out the common difference but I see no pattern!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You're right, I don't actually have to solve k but I don't know how to give the answer in terms of k without finding the value of d. This means I must figure out the common difference but I see no pattern!
    There is a pattern there but you also don't need to spot a pattern - as above, an artihmetic progression has a constant difference term 'd' (hence you use the formula for the nth term, a + (n-1)d because the first term is a, the second term you add d on (so it's a+d), the third term you add d to the second term (so it's a + d + d = a +2d).. and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (i) Find the sixth term.
    Please help!
    d is the common difference between each term in the AP. So what's the difference between 2k/3 and k and k/3 and 2k/3? That's your value of d. *

For example, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17... is an AP and d=3.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    d is the common difference between each term in the AP. So what's the difference between 2k/3 and k and k/3 and 2k/3? That's your value of d. *

For example, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17... is an AP and d=3.*
    I understand d is a constant...but I don't understand the pattern in the sequence . k ----> 2k/3 is just multiply by 2 and divide by three but that is definitely incorrect. I'm sorry but I can't understand this. Can you please explain?

ReputationRep:
    I understand d is a constant...but I don't understand the pattern in the sequence . k ----> 2k/3 is just multiply by 2 and divide by three but that is definitely incorrect. I'm sorry but I can't understand this. Can you please explain?
    Common difference is  -k/3 . That is all you can do. So  a_n=k-\frac{1}{3}(n-1)k .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    There is a pattern there but you also don't need to spot a pattern - as above, an artihmetic progression has a constant difference term 'd' (hence you use the formula for the nth term, a + (n-1)d because the first term is a, the second term you add d on (so it's a+d), the third term you add d to the second term (so it's a + d + d = a +2d).. and so on.
    Right so, the first term will be a+(n-1)d
    The second term will be a+d+(n-1)d, is that correct, Sean?
    If so, may I just ask why we are multiplying the result of (n-1) by d?
    My initial question remains though: how can I obtain the value of d? I don't know what sort of pattern there is, progressing from a single k to a 2k/3 to k/3.
    Thank you in advance,
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Right so, the first term will be a+(n-1)d
    The second term will be a+d+(n-1)d, is that correct, Sean?
    If so, may I just ask why we are multiplying the result of (n-1) by d?
    My initial question remains though: how can I obtain the value of d? I don't know what sort of pattern there is, progressing from a single k to a 2k/3 to k/3.
    Thank you in advance,
    Not quite - if you reread my previous post you will see that the second term is a+2d rather than a + d + (n-1)d, and I have shown you how/why you multiply n-1 by d (where n is the term number, eg with a + (n-1)d, the first term (case where n=1), the term is a + (1-1)d = a + 0d = a.

I've also answered your second question in my previous post so I am not sure what to say without repeating anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Common difference is  -k/3 . That is all you can do. So  a_n=k-\frac{1}{3}(n-1)k .
    How did you solve the common difference? Is there a method to it? I also don't understand how that IS the common difference because if we substitute your proposed value of d in the form a+(n-1)d, we get:
    k+(5)(-k/3) = k-5k/15
    I am quite sure I have done something wrong somewhere but I am very confused. I am not doubting your answer, I just want an explanation with regards to how you found d and why d = -k/3.
    Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    How did you solve the common difference? Is there a method to it? I also don't understand how that IS the common difference because if we substitute your proposed value of d in the form a+(n-1)d, we get:
    k+(5)(-k/3) = k-5k/15
    I am quite sure I have done something wrong somewhere but I am very confused. I am not doubting your answer, I just want an explanation with regards to how you found d and why d = -k/3.
    Thank you in advance!
    To find the common difference subtract the first term from the second term.

ReputationRep:
    k+(5)(-k/3) = k-5k/15
    Thank you in advance!
    Yeah you have. Is 5*(k/3) = 5k/15?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you have. Is 5*(k/3) = 5k/15?
    no its 5k/3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFancy1997)
    no its 5k/3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course it is - I know that, lol. I'm questioning their working because the OP was asking what he did wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFancy1997)
    no its 5k/3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol your genuine attempt at correcting him made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is - I know that, lol. I'm questioning their working because the OP was asking what he did wrong...
    I just realised my mistake. Thanks very much for pointing that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    To find the common difference subtract the first term from the second term.
    Ooooooh I never knew that. So 2k/3 -k = k/3 = d. Am I correct?

ReputationRep:
    Ooooooh I never knew that. So 2k/3 -k = k/3 = d. Am I correct?
    Yes. It makes sense because  a_2 - a_1=(a+d)-a =d. In fact the common difference in general is  a_{n+1}-a_{n} .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.