Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have a llb from university of Manchester but I'm not happy with the university's reputation - would it be advisable to do another llb from a better reputed uni like Durham? I'll probably need to do a foundation course at Durham first and then would be able to progress onto a second llb.

Any help would,be appreciated!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scruffyjoe)
    Hi

I have a llb from university of Manchester but I'm not happy with the university's reputation - would it be advisable to do another llb from a better reputed uni like Durham? I'll probably need to do a foundation course at Durham first and then would be able to progress onto a second llb.

Any help would,be appreciated!

Thanks
    How do you plan to fund this indulgence? The government won't fund second undergraduate degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How do you plan to fund this indulgence? The government won't fund second undergraduate degrees.

I'm an international student.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks
    I have two undergraduate degrees but I cannot imagine how it could ever make sense to do two in the same subject. I'd be pretty surprised if Durham would even accept you under any circumstances. And I don't see why you would need a foundation to get on to the course when you *already have a degree in the subject*.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be better off getting three years of law work experience than wasting over £50k to get another degree in the same subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adesola15)
    You'd be better off getting three years of law work experience than wasting over £50k to get another degree in the same subject.
    I agree. I am already doing that (graduated in 2012) but I want to remove Manchester from my CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    I have two undergraduate degrees but I cannot imagine how it could ever make sense to do two in the same subject. I'd be pretty surprised if Durham would even accept you under any circumstances. And I don't see why you would need a foundation to get on to the course when you *already have a degree in the subject*.
    I know I sound cuckoo but I don't know how to get out of this messy situation that I'm stuck in.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I am already doing that (graduated in 2012) but I want to remove Manchester from my CV.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a law graduate wouldn't your ideal situation be having a training contract or pupillage to be qualified as a solicitor or barrister, are you having trouble finding one?

ReputationRep:
    I know I sound cuckoo but I don't know how to get out of this messy situation that I'm stuck in.
    Manchester is a perfectly reasonable university and there is nothing particularly wrong with its reputation. If you are struggling I doubt that Manchester's reputation is the main (or any) cause. What grade did you get in your degree?

In any case I still very much doubt that it is even possible to find a university to accept you for a subject that you have already done a degree in.

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine that Durham etc. would be too willing to give you a place as you already have a degree in the exact same subject, with the exact same modules etc., while there will be other capable applicants who haven't already done the course once before.

Manchester isn't a bad university by any means - it's highly ranked in the UK. Presuming you do want to become a lawyer, a (good) degree from there shouldn't hinder you in your search for a training contract. If you can't get a training contract, it almost certainly won't be because your degree is from Manchester - it'll be perhaps due to your classification, or lack of work experience.

Basically, getting a second law degree isn't the answer. Get work experience instead.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a law graduate wouldn't your ideal situation be having a training contract or pupillage to be qualified as a solicitor or barrister, are you having trouble finding one?

(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    I can't imagine that Durham etc. would be too willing to give you a place as you already have a degree in the exact same subject, with the exact same modules etc., while there will be other capable applicants who haven't already done the course once before.

Manchester isn't a bad university by any means - it's highly ranked in the UK. Presuming you do want to become a lawyer, a (good) degree from there shouldn't hinder you in your search for a training contract. If you can't get a training contract, it almost certainly won't be because your degree is from Manchester - it'll be perhaps due to your classification, or lack of work experience.

Basically, getting a second law degree isn't the answer. Get work experience instead.
    Manchester is a perfectly reasonable university and there is nothing particularly wrong with its reputation. If you are struggling I doubt that Manchester's reputation is the main (or any) cause. What grade did you get in your degree?

In any case I still very much doubt that it is even possible to find a university to accept you for a subject that you have already done a degree in.
    I agree with all of you about getting work experience - I'm not working in the uk (not a resident) but I am working in my country (have been working for the last three years) finding work isn't much of a problem.
    Nobody respects Manchester in my country (including my family which is heartbreaking) and my parents are pressurising me to get another degree from a better, more respected university than Manchester.
    Another undergrad degree isn't necessarily the best option but I'm so sick of getting slack for my university. On top of that I don't have the grades to get into a good postgrad school either. So I just feel stuck and it's not a good feeling.

Thanks for your help. I'll think of other options.

ReputationRep:

I agree with all of you about getting work experience - I'm not working in the uk (not a resident) but I am working in my country (have been working for the last three years) finding work isn't much of a problem.
    Nobody respects Manchester in my country (including my family which is heartbreaking) and my parents are pressurising me to get another degree from a better, more respected university than Manchester.
    Another undergrad degree isn't necessarily the best option but I'm so sick of getting slack for my university. On top of that I don't have the grades to get into a good postgrad school either. So I just feel stuck and it's not a good feeling.

ReputationRep:

Ah ok. If you do decide to apply for another undergrad law degree though, you'll need convincing reasons - not only do prestigious universities need to accept you as a candidate, they also need an extraordinarily good reason why you're doing the exact same thing twice; they're not going to find "I don't think my first university was prestigious enough" as valid. Second undergraduate degrees aren't too uncommon, but doing the same thing twice is basically unprecedented - top unis won't be keen.

It might be worth considering doing a Masters at Durham or similar, which shouldn't be difficult to get on if you have a 2:1. Employers would like it; it would advance, not mind-numbingly repeat, your knowledge; it would allow a 'more prestigious' university to get on your CV; you'd actually have a chance at being accepted! Employers, not just unis, would want a good reason why you did LLB law, likely disadvantaging you. A masters, meanwhile, would advance your CV.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok. If you do decide to apply for another undergrad law degree though, you'll need convincing reasons - not only do prestigious universities need to accept you as a candidate, they also need an extraordinarily good reason why you're doing the exact same thing twice; they're not going to find "I don't think my first university was prestigious enough" as valid. Second undergraduate degrees aren't too uncommon, but doing the same thing twice is basically unprecedented - top unis won't be keen.

It might be worth considering doing a Masters at Durham or similar, which shouldn't be difficult to get on if you have a 2:1. Employers would like it; it would advance, not mind-numbingly repeat, your knowledge; it would allow a 'more prestigious' university to get on your CV; you'd actually have a chance at being accepted! Employers, not just unis, would want a good reason why you did LLB law, likely disadvantaging you. A masters, meanwhile, would advance your CV.
    Thanks! That's a very helpful suggestion!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.