The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

2017 University of Edinburgh hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Quick question :biggrin:

For medicine entry, 50% of the application is based on academics. During the scoring, do they favour predicted grades or do they value grades you have already achieved?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by LillyB14
Ah i'm applying for history of art but was also tempted by their 5 year fine art course- they both seem really good there

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm so tempted by the 5 year course but I think I wanna do a masters, therefore wouldn't really be able to afford it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really wanting to apply for Politics but only have AAAB so not sure if it's worth it, may as well give it a shot though!
Hey everyone! Does anyone know if Edinburgh sends confirmations of receipt after a document is uploaded in EUCLID?
Sent in my application last Saturday and I just received an unconditional offer today! I'm an American who applied for International Relations.
GCSE Grades: 5A*s 5As
AS Grades: AAAB ( Psychology, Maths, History and Spanish respectively)
Predicted A Level Grades: A*A*A
A-level Choices: Psychology, Maths, Spanish and EPQ
Course: Chinese and Linguistics
Extra Curricular: Mandarin taster days ,linguistics taster days ,TED Talks, wider reading, volunteering at IntoUniversity, and going on websites and Youtube videos to do some basic language learning.
Other Universities Applying To: SOAS, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham Trent

I'm a complete beginner to China and Mandarin so I'm a tad worried about whether I can show a good enough amount of enthusiasm and knowledge in my personal statement though - the ones I've seen on here are unreal!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by fyrebirds
Sent in my application last Saturday and I just received an unconditional offer today! I'm an American who applied for International Relations.

Same! I applied for law and history...was surprised by how fast decisions came.
Reply 107
Original post by Candidate6
Edinburgh gave me an offer of A*AA for Physics today. I'm an English student so practically international, does anyone else have an offer of any form yet?

Well done on your offer! Is it a year 2 entry?
Original post by mk9899
Same! I applied for law and history...was surprised by how fast decisions came.

What grades did you apply with may I ask?
Reply 109
Original post by johnTroy1
What grades did you apply with may I ask?

I'm from the US so I had already met the qualifications when I applied, which is why I probably got my decision so quickly(and I would have to pay a lot more!). I had a 5 on 4 AP exams(World History, Human Geography, American history, English Language), 4 on AP Calculus AB, and 3 on AP Chemistry, a 2190 SAT score, 34 ACT, and 780 Sat Subject test score.

Have you applied for Law as well?
Original post by LillyB14
Ah i'm applying for history of art but was also tempted by their 5 year fine art course- they both seem really good there

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! Leaning towards history of art right now though as I'm not as confident in my practical art skills. Just want to get into Edinburgh though for either as it's my absolute favourite!
Original post by nnblccz
I'm so tempted by the 5 year course but I think I wanna do a masters, therefore wouldn't really be able to afford it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah good point, i'm also considering doing history of art and architectural history now - i'm so indecisive 😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RMStewart3
I know! Leaning towards history of art right now though as I'm not as confident in my practical art skills. Just want to get into Edinburgh though for either as it's my absolute favourite!

You could apply to both although I asked about it at the open day and they said due to the amount of applications they get they would likely only give you an offer for one. Suppose it depends on what you want to do as a career?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys I'm an international student (Jamaica) and I got an offer! ABB equivalent + 6.5 in IELTS
The whole IELTS thing is a bit weird to me because I've been speaking English my whole life but I think it's procedure for internationals tbh as I have a friend who got in last year and had to do it too.

My stats:
GCSE Grades: (equivalent) A*A*A*A*A*A*AB
AS Grades: (equivalent) A*A*A*AA
Predicted A Level Grades: (equivalent ) A*A*A*A*
A-level Choices: English Literature, Geography, French, Art & Design, Communication Studies/Caribbean Studies (compulsory one year courses where I live)
Course: MA Politics
Extra Curricular: Student Council member, senior prefect, art society president, literary society vice president, modern languages club activities coordinator, yearbook committee member, volunteer at daycare and blind society
Other Universities Applying To: Cambridge, LSE, Bristol, Reading

Good luck everyone!!
Original post by scottishgirl163
Really wanting to apply for Politics but only have AAAB so not sure if it's worth it, may as well give it a shot though!

Apply!! They weigh your personal statement more than your grades (30:70)
Original post by christiha

Is there a source on this please?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Is there a source on this please?

Er, I really can't find it now but I'm sure I read it somewhere, sorry. Nevertheless, I don't think one B is a huge disadvantage.
Original post by christiha

I highly doubt that's the case. Also how would that work?
Original post by rolaah
I highly doubt that's the case. Also how would that work?

Not sure if it is true, but if it is it will most likely be a weighted scoring system (which I've heard most unis do for medicine).
Original post by DarkEnergy
Not sure if it is true, but if it is it will most likely be a weighted scoring system (which I've heard most unis do for medicine).

Most unis will just look at your grades, personal statement AND reference holistically. I imagine grades are important in any application, but as stated so is the PS. Regardless you may as well just apply - you have 5 options and there's no point in not applying. The only way you know you won't get in is by not applying at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending