Hill starts Watch

charlie_marlie
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I just got a new car a week ago. A rover Metro
Anyway, i need to master hill starts because een on a flat road i need some gas to pull away when on my biting point which i am not used to as in my driving instructors car i can do it on the clutch. I tried earlier and stalled loads of times miserably which has really knocked my confidence. Is there anything particular i need to do, or will i eventually master it?
elliotmcv
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nothing in particular really, just rev a lot, and make sure you don't bring up the clutch too fast. My car has a similar problem as it's fairly big (a Vauxhall Astra) but only has a 1.4 engine when it should have a 1.6 considering its size. Don't let it knock your confidence! Everyone stalls from time to time.
Congrats on getting a new car
anderue
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You do need a lot of revs - my mum's 1.0l needs 3k+ on most hills to pull away.
mountainmetman
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As the guys said, more revs helps loads.
It's all about balance, keep enough revs to not stall, use the clutch to apply this force against the weight of the car.
Stalling isn't a problem, especially when you're new to a car, just spend some time getting used to the feel of the controls.
Don't worry, you'll get it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads