Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Theresa May call a General Election? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Theresa May Call For A General Election?
    Hell Yes
    52.94%
    Hello No
    47.06%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Title says it all, I am curious on what most people think as on one hand it will actually mean we have a say in who runs our country however it looks like Conservatives will wipe the floor if it happens anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeslshStudent101)
    Title says it all, I am curious on what most people think as on one hand it will actually mean we have a say in who runs our country however it looks like Conservatives will wipe the floor if it happens anyway.
    I have no idea why this is such a big issue- everyone knows how our electoral system works, and it's only a big deal when the incumbent PM is someone you don't like - that's when all the "unelected" stuff comes out. It's not like it's a rarity either - I think more PMs in recent times come into office without a General Election. Since Mrs Thatch, anyway. Major, Brown and May without an election; Blair and Cameron with.

I don't think she should bother. If she calls one, all the Corbynites will be going on about an abuse of the Fixed Term Parliaments. The way it's going, there's 4 years for Labour to sort out exactly how badly they are going to screw themselves.

The way I see it, an early election would be a Tory landslide with maybe an extra 50 seats. Corbyn quits and is replaced by Diane Abbott (not even joking)

Wait till 2020, there could be two Labour parties, one with Corbyn, another more centrist one. Both get utterly destroyed at the polls -with Corbyn Labour keeping maybe 10 seats, Neo-Labour with maybe 30.

The only way back for "Labour" I see is a split and re-merger with the Lib Dems reforming the SDP under a new name. Either way, the neo-Militant Tendency's grip on the party is too strong to oust them, whether it's Corbyn or some other imbecile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Since Mrs Thatch, anyway. Major, Brown and May without an election; Blair and Cameron with.

To which you can add Baldwin in 1935 although he won one shortly afterwards, Chamberlain in 1937, Churchill in 1940, Eden in 1955, although again he went to the country immediately, Macmillan in 1957, Douglas Home in 1963 and Callaghan in 1976.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    To which you can add Baldwin in 1935 although he won one shortly afterwards, Chamberlain in 1937, Churchill in 1940, Eden in 1955, although again he went to the country immediately, Macmillan in 1957, Douglas Home in 1963 and Callaghan in 1976.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So basically half the PMs since the First World War.

ReputationRep:
    Shes my guilty pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea why this is such a big issue- everyone knows how our electoral system works, and it's only a big deal when the incumbent PM is someone you don't like - that's when all the "unelected" stuff comes out. It's not like it's a rarity either - I think more PMs in recent times come into office without a General Election. Since Mrs Thatch, anyway. Major, Brown and May without an election; Blair and Cameron with.

I don't think she should bother. If she calls one, all the Corbynites will be going on about an abuse of the Fixed Term Parliaments. The way it's going, there's 4 years for Labour to sort out exactly how badly they are going to screw themselves.

The way I see it, an early election would be a Tory landslide with maybe an extra 50 seats. Corbyn quits and is replaced by Diane Abbott (not even joking)

Wait till 2020, there could be two Labour parties, one with Corbyn, another more centrist one. Both get utterly destroyed at the polls -with Corbyn Labour keeping maybe 10 seats, Neo-Labour with maybe 30.

The only way back for "Labour" I see is a split and re-merger with the Lib Dems reforming the SDP under a new name. Either way, the neo-Militant Tendency's grip on the party is too strong to oust them, whether it's Corbyn or some other imbecile.
    There's no reason for her to now anyway, if Corbyn stays as leader(likely IMO due to the cult he's attracted) she can demolish Labour in 2020 and get another 5 years out of it without much effort. The original Militant are trying to get back in now as well.

I think a split is inevitable whoever wins the leadership vote.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-labour-corbyn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    There's no reason for her to now anyway, if Corbyn stays as leader(likely IMO due to the cult he's attracted) she can demolish Labour in 2020 and get another 5 years out of it without much effort. The original Militant are trying to get back in now as well.

I think a split is inevitable whoever wins the leadership vote.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-labour-corbyn

If the moderates don't throw their lot in with the Lib Dems, Labour is finished as a party and it will be Conservative governments for the foreseeable future.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would we want to destabilise the country and economy even more? Especially when the opposition can't even come together to decide on a suitable leader

ReputationRep:
    If the moderates don't throw their lot in with the Lib Dems, Labour is finished as a party and it will be Conservative governments for the foreseeable future.
    Either that or form a new Social Democratic Party. Trust in the Lib Dems seems to have been tarnished by the tuition fees rise, although I'm not sure if that applies more to Clegg specifically.

There's talk of deselections of any MP's who oppose Corbyn if he wins so a split may happen by default.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't think there's any moral to on the basis that people can relect her government or not in 2020.

With all that being said i'm a Tory and Labour will probably never be as pitiful, nutty or obsessed with issues ordinary people don't care about as they are now.

So yes, she should. It will be an electoral massacre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I don't think there's any moral to on the basis that people can relect her government or not in 2020.

With all that being said i'm a Tory and Labour will probably never be as pitiful, nutty or obsessed with issues ordinary people don't care about as they are now.

So yes, she should. It will be an electoral massacre.
    I'm a Labour voter and I also hope she does, although I don't think she will.

I'd rather get the trouncing over with sooner rather than later and move forward from there.

ReputationRep:
    On the one hand as leader of the tory party she has the implicit mandate granted by them holding the majority on the other hand she was only elected by a few people in one constituency. no one actually voted her to be PM be it in her party or the general public.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no.
    Is she worried that in 3/4 years time Corbyn will be the unbeatable force?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Hell no.
    Is she worried that in 3/4 years time Corbyn will be the unbeatable force?
    The issue is surely whether whoever is leading whatever is the principal opposition party in 3/4 years time will be an unbeatable force?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I'm a Labour voter and I also hope she does, although I don't think she will.

I'd rather get the trouncing over with sooner rather than later and move forward from there.
    The danger for you guys is that the Momentum types blame the media or the rebels rather than themselves and hence they don't remove him or worse, replace him with somebody equally as obsessed with republicanism, pacifism or betraying the union.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it really matters as I think Theresa May would be in power either way, Election or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The danger for you guys is that the Momentum types blame the media or the rebels rather than themselves and hence they don't remove him or worse, replace him with somebody equally as obsessed with republicanism, pacifism or betraying the union.
    I can only hope it would rattle some sense into them, though it's very difficult to reason with people who are populist followers of something or someone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.