Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm new too all this and this is really for my friend not me - my friend wants to study English literature at uni however she hasn't studied an A level in it because they wouldn't allow her at our school because she only got a B in English lit at GCSE, and she studies creative writing, philosophy and ethics, media and was wondering what unis would take her without the a level? She really needs some help and any would be grateful. We're both struggling! Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Have a look at entry requirements and see if it's required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Have a look at entry requirements and see if it's required.
    Hi, we both have and a lot of unis won't - like she's able to do journalism and media but couldn't do English lit with media even though she has a media a level. What are you thoughts? She wants to be a journalist, what course would be better? She does creative wiring? Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If you don't meet the entry requirements then you aren't going to be considered. Have a look at jobs you're interested in and see what their requirements are. I think you'll find that for things like journalism and creative writing experience is more important that what degree you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    If you don't meet the entry requirements then you aren't going to be considered. Have a look at jobs you're interested in and see what their requirements are. I think you'll find that for things like journalism and creative writing experience is more important that what degree you do.
    Thank you so much, that is really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    i haven't researched this extensively but - I did English lit and CW a levels, and have applied for an English Lit degree. When I was researching unis, I did notice that Cardiff accepts CW instead of Eng Lit and Glasgow doesn't ask for Eng Lit specifically, just arts/humanities/language subjects - I think

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow - http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...ryrequirements

"A-levels
    Standard academic entry requirements: AAB.Minimum academic entry requirements: BBB.Other mandatory requirements: Must include at least one arts, humanities or language subject. Applicants wishing to study Mathematics or Computing Science as part of their degree will require A-level Maths at Grades A or B."

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/under...-literature-ba

"Typical A level offer AAB including an A in English Literature or English Literature and Language or Creative Writing. General Studies is not accepted. "
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Perhaps going to Scotland is the answer? In many Scottish universities students have to pick two 'outside subjects' to study alongside their chosen degree for the first two years, they then choose which subjects to take into honours years. There is no obligation to carry on with the subject you originally applied for, you can, if you want, switch and get a degree in one of your outside subjects instead.

ReputationRep:
    As others said, it will vary from University to University. I work at University of Westminster and we tend to be very open with students with non-standard qualifications. You can always get in touch with the student recruitment team to get a better sense of requirements.

A lot of students go into journalism after doing English and getting involved in student media. Some examples from Westminster: https://www.westminster.ac.uk/news-a...t-media-awards
    http://uwsu.com/radio/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.