The Student Room Group

Received offer for Law at Oxford, can I switch to Law with Law Studies in Europe?

If I meet my offer on Results Day, would it be possible to switch from straight Law to Law with Law Studies in Europe?
Reply 1
Original post by LoveToArgue
If I meet my offer on Results Day, would it be possible to switch from straight Law to Law with Law Studies in Europe?

I've moved your post to the Oxford forum.

I expect your best bet is to ask your college before results day, but others with more Oxford experience may say otherwise...
I don't think so but yes, it would be better to ask your college. I just remember going to an Oxford open day and talking to an admissions tutor and they said that the law with European studies is so oversubscribed that they often have to make offers for straight law (to those who applied for law with European studies and even had decent language skills).

Law with Law Studies in Europe is a tougher course to get into in the sense that there is an internal quota which is tied to the number of European University places available for the year abroad. At the application stage, candidates who apply for LSE are also considered for straight Law (Jurisprudence).

We did a transfer for a student last year: he/she applied to transfer after starting the course, the Law School agreed but set a minimum level of attainment in the first year Law exams (these are called 'Mods' and take place after the first two Terms). The student met this target and transferred.

Our advice would be to talk to your college after you arrive in Oxford since, as stated above, the Law School as well as the college need to agree to a transfer.

In addition to what BrasenoseAdm has described, a handful of spaces may become available after Mods (or at least used to back when I was an undergrad from 2011-2014). If applicable, an email would be sent by the Law Faculty detailing the relevant places and the procedure for transferring. If I recall correctly, you must achieve at least 60 or above in all three Mods subjects to apply, although the Faculty usually warns students that those transferring tend to have better grades than that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will chat to my head of sixth who is in charge of UCAS at school and then I'll take it from there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending