Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya...well firstly I was wondering...is maths a lot different at uni than a level maths...

I enjoy maths at a-level a lot at the moment but I heard its a lot different at uni and I might not like it

and secondly....is anyone studying financial mathematics? are u enjoying the course... what can I do after studying this? Is it generally a good degree to study and what will wages be like?

all the help will be much appreciated as my mind is everywhere at the moment wondering what im gonna do if i dont get the grades...please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~sapna*~)
    Hiya...well firstly I was wondering...is maths a lot different at uni than a level maths...
    Yes. Very. That said, if you enjoy maths at A Level and you have enjoyed reading some non-curricular maths books then you'll probably enjoy maths at university.

and secondly....is anyone studying financial mathematics? are u enjoying the course... what can I do after studying this? Is it generally a good degree to study and what will wages be like?
    I've never studied it for a degree, but I'd wager that I know as much financial mathematics as someone who has. I found it very enjoyable, but I came into it from a position of already knowing a lot of maths (I already had an undergraduate and a masters degree). I'm not sure what it would be like to take it straight after A Levels.

Prospects after graduating in a financial mathematics course from a good university would be quite rosy. You're looking at starting on an above-average graduate salary for most related jobs (25k might be a good estimate for a recent grad now) and even more if you enter investment banking. In finance, it seems to be that the more relevant qualifications you have (batchelor, masters or PhD) then the higher the salary you can start on. Starting salaries range from 20-60k depending on your experience and qualifications, plus you can probably expect a golden handshake and an end of year bonus.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for ur help mate...i do enjoy maths at a-level...its my favourite subject.

Well basically i've applied to optometry and got my places and all and just waiting for results...but i'm now having doubts as pre rej placements are really hard to find and they're too many optometrists around at the moment..

I keep thinking that maybe my future prospects will be better if i study maths

Also does it make a big difference whether u study "maths and finance" or " financial mathematics"

sorry for all the questions but im jus all confused at the moment and have a month to think about it all before results

ReputationRep:
    lol if you feel that there are too many optometrists at the moment then dont look into Financial sector. Even with a degree in Mathematics you'll find yourself competing with thousands of applicants for only a few places.
    Do maths if you really enjoy it, but dont base your decision on the number of people in your chosen feild.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 1, 2007

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.