Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean things like general freshers activities and stuff, I mean how did you guys find the sudden independence and being away from home? Half of me feels like I'd be pretty good at it and it wouldn't bother me at all, but the other half is terrified that I'll get super homesick and just hate everything and everyone because of it lmao.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    I don't mean things like general freshers activities and stuff, I mean how did you guys find the sudden independence and being away from home? Half of me feels like I'd be pretty good at it and it wouldn't bother me at all, but the other half is terrified that I'll get super homesick and just hate everything and everyone because of it lmao.
    I had a little bit of homesickness but otherwise as I d gotten there a week early, I really enjoyed just exploring the city and figuring at where all the shops were.

ReputationRep:
    Well it was all a bit new and quite exciting homesickness is experienced at some point by every student but it passes and by the time you have done some of the enrolment things met your course mates you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I had a little bit of homesickness but otherwise as I d gotten there a week early, I really enjoyed just exploring the city and figuring at where all the shops were.
    If you get there early, are you still allowed to stay in your accommodation or do you have to find somewhere else to stay for the week?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    If you get there early, are you still allowed to stay in your accommodation or do you have to find somewhere else to stay for the week?
    Mine was private so let me stay there early.

ReputationRep:
    bad
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    First day I was okay as I was meeting everyone in my block etc, didn't have much time to think. Second and third days I felt awful. I cried quite a lot () because I felt so homesick and couldn't imagine being happy living away from my family. But then I felt much better as the week went on, started to enjoy it and got used to it! I occasionally miss my home even now, but I'm lucky that I didn't move too far away so I can go home when I want. You definitely do settle in eventually, well most people do anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello

Personally, I couldn't wait for the independence. I'd reached a point at home where I'd had enough of my little town and was just ready to start discovering and supporting myself. As soon as I got there I jumped straight into my student life and I loved it. The only time I got super homesick was when I was stressed or ill because that was when my mum would look after me and you discover how annoying/difficult it is to look after yourself when you're mum isn't there to bring you the things you need in bed - but that was about that.

The first week was difficult when she left on the first day but after that, I was too busy attending social events and making new friends and adjusting to a new lifestyle - then again, I spoke to her everyday and still do - so I was always catching up with her.

I promise you, you'll be absolutely fine!

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely loved it! One the first day I moved in and got to know everyone and then we started going out and getting closer and it's a great and weird experience to be honest of saying hi to every stranger you meet! Freshers is great and is the perfect opportunity to do it! I loved being away from home and having that independence and I never really felt homesick at during my entire first year really guess I was enjoying myself that much that I didn't miss home too much.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.