The Student Room Group

Poll: How long would you sentence two consenting adults for having sex

Poll

How long should two consenting adults get sentence for if they are in the same family

If they were part of the same family

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

why not?
Reply 3
As long as it was safe, I see no harm
Original post by GUMI

You dont think incest should be illegal then?
Reply 5
I don't really agree with having sex with relatives but if they're both consenting adults I see no need to punish either of them.
I wouldn't. It's none of my business what two consenting adults do in their own bedroom.
As long as it's consensual then no, there are far worse crimes out there innit
Original post by DarkMagic
I wouldn't. It's none of my business what two consenting adults do in their own bedroom.

If they were grandfather and grandaughter?
Reply 9
Original post by questionthenorm
You dont think incest should be illegal then?

I don't see why it should be?
Original post by DarkMagic

Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
As long as it's consensual then no, there are far worse crimes out there innit

Original post by GUMI

And if it is not safe, or they try their best but accidentally being into this world a child whose life may or may not be abnormal? No harm?

And also screw them up mentally, no doubt.
Original post by SeanFM
And if it is not safe, or they try their best but accidentally being into this world a child whose life may or may not be abnormal? No harm?

Yeah well I guess it does depend on how close they are in the family, like brother and sister is no doubt dodgy territory to say the least but cousins aren't as bad and is common in parts of the world
As long as they're on contraception and it's protected sex, I wouldn't
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
Yeah well I guess it does depend on how close they are in the family, like brother and sister is no doubt dodgy territory to say the least but cousins aren't as bad and is common in parts of the world

In my opinion, or if I had my way, it would not depend on how close they are or what their relation is. And the example you've mentioned doesnt make it any better, not least when you're set up by someone to have this happen.
We're not responsible for protecting the minds of adults. If a 20 year old woman really, really wants to **** her grandad (and if he's okay with that), I'm not going to be the one to send a policeman in to drag them apart. Same goes for brother and sister, cousins etc. We don't have to understand each others desires, just respect the rights of adults to make their own choices.

Only if children are going to be produced can the state claim any legitimate interest in interfering. And nowadays that's absolutely not synonymous with sex (and often not even with marriage).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by SeanFM

I mean it doesn't matter how hard they tried, the facts speak for themselves and if one of them gets pregnant, they'll ultimately have to face the consequences. But given the question at hand, if they are both consenting adults, and understand the risk of their actions, I don't think they should be punished

Also nice profile picture :biggrin:
Original post by SeanFM
In my opinion, or if I had my way, it would not depend on how close they are or what their relation is. And the example you've mentioned doesnt make it any better, not least when you're set up by someone to have this happen.

Its not like I advocate it or anything, I just don't see how sending them to prison would be an effective method of incest prevention
Reply 17
In general, not the state's business. The question of children is a very interesting one though. If you think on account of potential genetic problems (which by the way are still very unlikely with cousins or further, though several generations of inbreeding will increase the likelihood IIRC) we shouldn't allow children to be conceived in these circumstances, would you also ban people with inheritable genetic disorders from reproducing? Would you force the abortion of fetuses that will end up as severely disabled babies? I would be inclined to say no in these cases and thus I can't reasonably see how the incest case is different in this regard.

One thing to note though is that there are obvious questions of power imbalances that need to be brought up. I'm extremely socially liberal, but I have to take issue with the constant throwing around of the term "consenting adults", as if the age of 18 bestows magical powers of self-responsibility as soon as one attains it, as if it has a fundamental moral basis rather than a culturally dependent one. Imagine an 18 year old still lives with their parents and is financially dependent on them. Can you say that this 18 year old having sex with a parent is morally justifiable because it's simply a case of "consenting adults"? I doubt it.

So in general I would advocate no prison time or fine, but I recognise that this is not so black and white as "consenting adults, state shouldn't care".
If it results in a pregnancy, I would probably give them a fine due to the chance of producing children with birth defects.
what? why would locking them in a cage do any good? it's not my business and I don't give a **** - consent is the only thing I care about

Quick Reply

Latest