Turn on thread page Beta

Parents leaving me and sister alone.. watch

Announcements

My parents are leaving me with my younger sister (11) for 4 days. I'm 15. I have a family of 6, my other two siblings (19 and 21) are both on holiday. My dad is off on business and my mum is going to france to look after the property we have there.

This means that unless my sister goes out, I will have to be indoors all day which is a problem. I raised this with my mum in front of my dad, and now she is looking for someone else to blame for the situation. She shouts at me for raising it in front of my dad because "he didn't need to know" (he goes away tomorrow, she goes away afterwards), and shouts at my siblings for being on holiday, and gets shouted at by my dad for allowing this situation to come about.

And IMO I am not really comfortable being the responsible adult in the household for 4 days. What on earth will we eat? Takeaways every night?

Argh. is this even legal?

ReputationRep:
    Double post..how do i delete.

Thanks in advance for any replies

ReputationRep:
    Yep id say takeaways every night.... and sunny side/tuna/sausage/hotdogs in the morning

Do you not have friends/relatives nearby who can check up on you?

ReputationRep:
    Umm, do you have any relatives who can come stay?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I found this on BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2603817.stm

ReputationRep:
    It probably isn't legal. My parents said that you had to be 16 to be left in your house overnight.

ReputationRep:
    15 is easily old enough to look after yourself for a few days, but I wouldn't leave an 11 year old in that situation.

(Original post by ambiguous)
    It probably isn't legal. My parents said that you had to be 16 to be left in your house overnight.
    That's untrue. There is no such age, as long as it isn't obviously irresponsible (ie a 9 year old or something)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's recommended that it's safe for a 16 year old and older to be left alone, however there is no set rule for it.

ReputationRep:
    This is illegal. You have to be 16 to be left alone overnight, and even then it's not advisable unless you're sure of the child's maturity and their ability to cope. I'm 18 and I would hate for my parents to leave me for 4 days, particularly if I had a younger sibling to look after, so I don't blame you for being 15 and feeling the responsibility is to much! Talk to your mum about it, say you really don't feel comfortable being left for 4 days - so long as the trip isn't imminent, she might be able to change the dates? If not, do you have any relatives that live nearby or are you close to your neighbours so they could pop in and check on you and perhaps help you with making meals? My parents don't like me cooking even if they're just out of the house for a couple of hours (not that I ever do! At a push I'll stick some Micro Chips in or make some Super Noodles hehe) because they're worried about me setting fire to the place! If you haven't done much cooking before, that could be a worry. What about the washing machine, any special treatment for pets etc that you might not be familiar with? I'd say it sounds like a bad idea to leave you and your sister alone, it's not safe and it's not legal, so it'd be best if your mum could sort the situation out.

ReputationRep:
    Right, well apparently, having checked the semantics, it's not illegal - surely it should be - but it's advised against and people have been prosecuted for it in the past.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm 18 and I would hate for my parents to leave me for 4 days
    How are you going to cope when you move out?

ReputationRep:
    The OP is 15, not 4, but it's the 11 year old that's not right. I would never leave an 11 year old with a 15 year old for that long. Not to suggest that the OP isn't capable of looking after her, but it isn't something I would ever risk.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not moving out lol Either living at home for university or taking a gap year during which I'll be living at home.

ReputationRep:
    just inform a neighbour to keep an eye on you or something. you'll be fine. it's not rocket science remember to lock doors in the evening etc, and dont get annoyed at having to stay in for your sibling cos it's not their fault. and if you feel you have to go out, make sure you take them with you. it's all obvious stuff really. you'll be fine, don't worry about it It's nice to see your parents think you're responsible and mature enough to do it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by abc101)
    I'm not moving out lol Either living at home for university or taking a gap year during which I'll be living at home.
    Not moving out... ever?

This thread is a perfect example of two unhealthy extremes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)

you sound like you really need to start growing up a bit. i don't mean to be offensive, but for your own sake. you're 18 and don't like being left alone? your parents wont be there forever and by now you really should be experienced enough to look after yourself properly incase a situation arises where you need to cope yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any friends you could go and stay with for a few days. I'm sure you and your sister both have school friends whose parents would happily take you in for a few nights. You might also be able to arrange for your sister to see friends during the day so that you're not completely on top of each other.

I hope you find a solution - it sounds like a really tricky situation. Bright side is, I guess it proves your parents trust you?! I've essentially moved out now I'm at uni and they still get iffy if I have to cook myself dinner!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think an 11 year old would destroy the place if you left her alone for a few hours during the day...

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone is over-reacting, I think it is perfectly fine situation. It is not hard to make a couple of microwave meals, wash a few post and keep the place tidy for 4 days. You are both old in enough IMO to look after yourselves for such a short space of time.

ReputationRep:
    It might seem daunting, but seriously, you'll be fine.
    It's not that hard to cook noodles, or cup-a-soup, or ready meals, or toast, or pasta with cheese or something like that.
    I'm guessing your 11-year-old sibling isn't going to trash the house/can entertain herself/wash herself/put herself to bed etc etc etc. You may find that they're less of a hindrance than you might think. It's not like being left alone with a baby for 4 days.
    I agree that perhaps your parents shouldn't be putting you in this situation, but if there's definitely nothing you can do about it, trust me when I say you'll cope. You (and your parents) will feel really proud of yourself when you do.

As for you, abc101...well, I have no words.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.