The Student Room Group

A-Level Results Day 2016: Didn't do as well as you hoped? Advice here!

A-Level Results Day 2016: Didn't do as well as you hoped?

Hello fellow A-level students, it's nearly that dreaded time of the year! Time flies :moon: I know how anxious you're feeling, I hope you all get the grades that you're aiming for! We understand that there will be a mixture of feelings on the day though. If you didn't do as well as you hoped, it's not the end of the world, there are still options available to you. I hope this thread will give you an idea of what you can do if you're in the situation, making it easier for you to decide what to do next. :hugs:

You might find the guide to AS results day and the guide to A-level results day useful. If you've just collected your AS results a number of common questions have been answered on Changing Skies's AS levels FAQ & Advice: What's next? thread. When released, you can find grade boundaries for this year's exams on The Financier's grade boundaries thread.

If your question isn't answered/you'd like more information, post in the thread and the results day team will try our best to help.

I wish you all the very best of luck for results day. :h:

This post will cover:
AS Results
Missing your firm/insurance
Remark information
Retakes information

I'm an AS student and my results aren't as high as I was hoping
For the reformed subjects (Art and Design, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, English, English Language, English Lang and Lit, English Lit, History, Physics, Psychology, Sociology), AS Levels don’t count towards your overall A-level grade. It’s important to remember that in these subjects you’ll be examined on the whole course next summer.
If your subject has not yet been affected by the changes, AS levels count towards 50% of your overall A-Level grade so if you work very hard, you could make up ground in your A2 modules to achieve the grade you're aiming for.

Some common questions have been answered below.

I missed the grade required to continue studying a subject
Sixth Forms/Colleges may still require you to score a certain grade at AS in order for you to continue studying a particular subject in your second year. If you are in the position where you did not meet the minimum grade required, the first thing to do is to consider why you feel this was the case:

If it was due to a lack of understanding of the content at AS, you may wish to reconsider whether or not you want to continue with that subject for A-level. You could potentially be making life much more difficult for yourself if you do decide to continue the subject.

If you feel that there were other, outside circumstances that prevented you from meeting the subject requirement, you should try to speak to your subject head as soon as possible. If possible, try to speak to him/her before term starts. It may be the case that they will let you continue with that subject. Unfortunately, this is not guaranteed and so you will need to be prepared to convince your subject head to let you continue.

If you feel as though one or more of your papers were marked incorrectly, you could consider getting your paper(s) remarked. There is more information regarding retakes and remarks below.

I am adamant on continuing a subject but my Sixth Form/College aren't letting me as I didn't meet their requirements.
If you're in this position and feel that it would be in your best interest to continue a particular subject, you could contact other institutions with lower entry requirements to see if they'd be willing to take you on. You will need to do this as soon as possible as places may fill quickly.

Remember that your new school or college may not teach the same specification (i.e. may have different exam boards for your subjects), so the content of your AS-levels may not correspond to the content at A-level. If this is the case, you will need to tell your new school or college as the deadline for applications to switch exam boards is the 21st October. Further information can be found at http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit.

Is it a good idea to bank on the idea that I'll be able to make up at A2? (for non-reformed subjects only)
Many people find the jump between AS and A2 to be just as bad, or worse, than the jump between AS and GCSEs. Whilst it is perfectly possible to make up marks in your A2 examinations, it is risky and you will need to be prepared to work extremely hard. In general, if you have missed the grade that you were aiming for by a substantial amount, it is better to consider retaking some AS modules as opposed to relying too heavily on your A2 modules.

Have a look here to find out if you're studying a reformed subject: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...a-level-reform

I want to retake year 12.
After reflecting upon your results, it may be the case that you wish to retake the whole of year 12. If this is the case for you, you should speak to the Head of Sixth Form/College to see if they will be willing for you to do this. It may also be the case that you'll be allowed to change your subjects completely (although you will still have to declare your other results on UCAS if they have been certificated). Also note that some universities/courses only consider applicants who have completed their A-Levels in 2 years, so you may be limiting your options for the future by studying for them in 3 (or more) years. If you decide to change your A-Levels completely, it won't count as you having spent three years to complete them. However, as the new changes mean that AS levels do not contribute to the overall a-level, you may wish to just continue onto year 13.

I don't think I want to continue with A-Levels
It may be the case that you no longer want to go into Further Education after receiving your results. It is important not to make this decision rashly, however - if possible, speak to your teachers/careers advisor to see if they have any advice for you. If after discussing your options you are sure that you don't want to continue, you could:

- Seek to pursue a vocational course instead. See here for more information:
http://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifi...ceships# fil=uk

- Take up an apprenticeship. Have a look at our Apprenticeships forum:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...pprenticeships

- Part-time study and work. Have a look at our Careers and Employment forum:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I'm an A2 student and I missed the offer for my firm/insurance!
If you're an A2 student and you find yourself in the position of having missed your offer, you still have some options available. In some cases, your firm or insurance may let you in even if you have missed your offer. In this case, Track will update to reflect this and you won't need to worry.

If you find that your firm/insurance are unwilling to take you, you will go into clearing. You can find some very helpful information on our Clearing page, which includes a Clearing Directory with details of most Universities in the United Kingdom. If you are in Clearing, you can make life easier for yourself by having:

1) Your previous results slips with all of your modular results.
2) A mobile phone that is fully charged and that has plenty of credit. Or better, use a landline to make outgoing calls and take incoming calls from Universities on your mobile. That way, the line is free.
3) Internet access.
4) The Telegraph paper, which will give you the full list of universities in clearing.

Alternatively, if you've missed your offer by just a few UMS, you could consider getting one or more of your papers remarked (more information below). You will need to let your firm/insurance know that you are getting a paper remarked as soon as possible.

Finally, if you do not want to go through the process of clearing and do not feel that a remark would result in your grade increasing, you may wish to take a gap year. There are several things that you can do in your gap year which include (but are not limited to) retaking some exams to boost your grades for a reapplication.

There is more information regarding retakes below and you can find more information on gap years in our forum, with this thread outlining some potential options.

Remark information
If you feel that one or more of your papers were marked incorrectly, especially if you were just a couple of UMS points off the next grade for a particular subject, you may wish look into getting one or more of your papers remarked.

Which post results services are available?
There are various services available for an EAR (enquiry about results) and the availability of some services may differ between exam boards. Click the blue writing below to expand information regarding each service:

EAR Service 1: Clerical Check

EAR Service 2: Post-results review of externally marked components (exams)

Priority EAR Service 2: Post-results review of externally marked components (exams)

EAR service 3: Post-results review of internally assessed/externally moderated coursework

To use any of these services, you will need to speak to your Examinations Officer. If you are a private candidate, you can apply for an EAR directly. You'll need to have a look at your exam board's website for information on how to apply in this case.

For more information on the above, have a look at: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Result-enquiry-services/JCQ_Post_Results_Services_Booklet_2016.pdf

I have a university place at stake. Will I be able to get a remark on time?
Get the remark underway through school/college asap, it is vital that you tell your university that you're getting a remark. You will also need to request a priority remark to get the outcome as soon as possible - you will have until the 31st August to inform your university if your grade has changed.

If the result of my remark goes down, can I keep my original result?
Unfortunately not - the outcome of your remark is final, even if it is lower than the original mark.

How likely is it that my mark will change?
It is obviously impossible to give a certain answer to this as none of us have seen how well you have answered questions on your paper. In general though, subjects in which the marking is less subjective due to the following of a strict markscheme (e.g. Maths) are less likely to have been marked incorrectly and so it is unlikely (but not impossible) for marks to change in these subjects. In subjects where the marking is more subjective (e.g. English), there may be more chance of a change of marks. However, there have been changes in the way remarks are carried out so from this year marks can only be changed if the original marker has made an ‘error’. Marks will no longer be changed simply because of different interpretations of the markscheme. You can read more detail about these changes here.

I had extenuating circumstances at the time of my exam but didn't reveal these to the exam board. Can I reveal them now to get a remark/extra marks/special consideration?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to apply for special consideration once results are out. The deadline to apply was a while ago.

Can I request to see a copy of my paper to help me decide if it's worth getting a remark?
Yes, it is possible to request to see a copy of your paper by speaking to your examinations officer. If, however, you have a university place at stake, it is best not to request a copy of your paper as you will require an urgent remark. It is also important to make sure that you request for a photocopy of your script and not the original. This is because requesting the original will make you ineligible to use an EAR service.

Will I have to pay?
In most cases, you will have to pay for a remark. However, if your mark goes up, you will be refunded the cost. Have a look at individual exam board websites for more information. The table below summarises prices for each exam board:

PRS Fees Table.JPG

I'm still not happy with my result after the EAR. Is there anything else I can do?
You could consider appealing the outcome of the EAR. It is only possible for appeals to go through centres, however, so you'll need to speak to your examinations officer/teacher to get more information regarding this.

Retake information
In order to try to boost their marks, many people decide to retake one or more exams. Now that January exams don't exist for most candidates, the earliest opportunity to retake will be in Summer 2016.

With the A-Level reforms, will I still be able to retake the current specification? (A2 students wanting to retake in a gap year/repeat year)
Yes - there will be an opportunity to retake papers of the current specification next summer.

With the A-Level reforms, will I still be able to retake AS exams?
Yes you can but is there any point when you’ll be examined on the same material at the end of the course?

Will I have to retake the whole subject or can I just retake one paper?
It is possible to just retake individual papers as opposed to the whole subject.

If my retake mark is lower than my original mark, which mark will count?
Your highest mark will be the one that counts so in this case, your original mark will remain.

Would it be better for me to retake a paper as opposed to send it off for a remark?
This depends on your circumstance and the answer will vary between different people.In general, you may wish to to consider retaking if you think any of the following apply to you:

- You have just one module mark that is pulling your overall grade down.
- You feel you had extenuating circumstances affecting your exam performance.
- You feel your paper was marked correctly.
- You think that you will have enough time to revise for your retakes along with your next exams if you have any
If you feel that your paper was marked incorrectly you may wish to consider getting a remark instead.

If you are unsure as to which option to pick, it would be best to speak to your teachers for their advice. You could also make a post on this thread to get advice from others.

How do universities see retakes?
For most universities, the odd retake is unlikely to have major issues with you retaking exams. For some competitive courses such as Medicine, however, you may be at a disadvantage if you decide to retake. The best thing for you to do is contact the universities you are interested in applying for and asking them if they're still happy to consider you.If you want to apply for Medicine, you may wish to have a look at Medical School Resit Policies page. Some of it may be out of date, however, so it'd still be best to check with individual Medical Schools for their policy regarding retakes.

Will I have to pay to retake?
There is usually a charge associated retaking. To find out the price, you'll need to speak to your examinations officer as prices vary between centres.
(edited 7 years ago)
Amazingly detailed! :heart:
Original post by Black Rose

EAR Service 2: Post-results review of externally marked components (exams)

For Service 2, are all papers reviewed after the 20th September deadline, or do they start as soon as the papers are submitted?
Reply 3
Original post by m3racer123
For Service 2, are all papers reviewed after the 20th September deadline, or do they start as soon as the papers are submitted?
It's aimed to be completed within 30 days of the request submission, so they don't wait for the deadline to pass. :smile:
Hi :smile:

I got BCDD in my AS exams and I am hoping to retake French (C) and Geography (D), the unis I'm looking at have high requirements (my choices are limited as I want to do Translation (and Interpreting) so will I have any chance of them considering me when I apply?
This may be a silly question, but can you request a coursework script back to see where you went wrong? I was disappointed with my biology coursework grade where I only got a B but wanted at least a strong A, and my teacher and I thought it was likely to be worth more than a B.
Reply 6
I'm so sorry for the late replies!

Original post by IKEAPanda37
Hi :smile:

I got BCDD in my AS exams and I am hoping to retake French (C) and Geography (D), the unis I'm looking at have high requirements (my choices are limited as I want to do Translation (and Interpreting) so will I have any chance of them considering me when I apply?

It depends on how high the requirements are, and also your A-level predictions, personal statement and interview etc. I think if you're unsure you could call up the department and speak to someone in admissions to see if they would consider you, or speak to them at an open day?

Original post by A-LJLB
This may be a silly question, but can you request a coursework script back to see where you went wrong? I was disappointed with my biology coursework grade where I only got a B but wanted at least a strong A, and my teacher and I thought it was likely to be worth more than a B.

I'm not sure @The Learn Ranger do you know? You could speak to your teacher/department head/exams officer, they should know. :smile:
Original post by A-LJLB

Your teacher should have copies of your coursework so should be able to go through it with you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Your teacher should have copies of your coursework so should be able to go through it with you.

I have my coursework, I just wanted to know whether I could find out where I went wrong, as college and I are surprised at my grade.
Original post by A-LJLB
I have my coursework, I just wanted to know whether I could find out where I went wrong, as college and I are surprised at my grade.

It's not really possible for you as an individual to get feedback from the exam board.

Your teacher may have had a centre report or similar which gives them some general feedback. You'll need to ask them about that.

Good luck in your quest for feedback!
Original post by The Learn Ranger
It's not really possible for you as an individual to get feedback from the exam board.

Your teacher may have had a centre report or similar which gives them some general feedback. You'll need to ask them about that.

Good luck in your quest for feedback!

Alright thank you! I just wondered if it was similar to exams :smile: I may not need to resubmit next year, it'd just be easier to get an A* with a higher grade!

I'm sure it will all work out, thank you for your help :h:

Quick Reply

Latest