mshaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is Vaping banned at uni halls? and does it trigger the smoke alarms? I heard from some friends that Vapers don't trigger smoke alarms so I'm kind of confused.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mshaz)
Is Vaping banned at uni halls? and does it trigger the smoke alarms? I heard from some friends that Vapers don't trigger smoke alarms so I'm kind of confused.
I believe it has the same rules as smoking attached to it but depends on the university.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah I'm pretty sure it's viewed the same and will set the smoke alarms off

also, it's horrible living with someone smoking or vaping - don't be an *******
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mshaz)
It's the same as smoking. Isn't allowed in rooms. Depends on the uni, but I got fined cause it made the alarm go off (all because I had my curtain covering my open window).

If you window opens like literally opens (mine did as in you could jump out of it cause it could open like a door) then just make sure you stick your head out.

If your window doesn't just smoke outside or near the smoking area/cover. Plus it's a good way to meet freshers if you do that.
Pato1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by doodle_333)
yeah I'm pretty sure it's viewed the same and will set the smoke alarms off

also, it's horrible living with someone smoking or vaping - don't be an *******
So it's not horrible living with someone abhorrently drunk?
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pato1)
So it's not horrible living with someone abhorrently drunk?
I never said it wasn't, the OP asked about vaping

well the issue with vaping/smoking is that it gets everywhere... I had a flatmate who vaped and did shisha in his room and kicked off at me cos he 'didn't get my problem' as they weren't cigarettes, didn't seem to care that my room stank, the windows barely opened so it took forever to air out and it was irritating my asthma - so there's an added health component there, I had asthma attacks due to this moron

someone who is inflicting their drunkeness on you is also horrible to live with if they're loud all night/making you deal with their vomit etc but I don't have an issue with people being drunk if they're not causing an issue
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Be aware that even vaping out of a window could get you fined if staff or wardens see you.
pizzanomics
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have nothing else to add other than at my old university (Loughborough) vaping was treated the same as smoking in my hall. I don't know of anyone that got caught though so they might have just been empty threats. Plenty of people smoke weed and do a hell of a lot worse whilst at uni so as long as you are aware of the consequences (and by consequences I mean the consequences of getting caught) then it's up to you if you want to do it. Don't be surprised if the pentalties for getting caught are harsh though.
Irinaalex2019
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What would the penalties of being caught be though?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mshaz)
I’ve read an article which claims that vaping is 95% safer on your health and your family or friends than smoking! So why is it banned in residence halls?
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve read an article which claims that vaping is 95% safer on your health and your family or friends than smoking! So why is it banned in residence halls?
Is this anything like vaping in living rooms? Recent evidence is now forcing such opinion to reconsider.
username2740239
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
my flatmates are vaping in the kitchen and in their rooms all. the. time. and it hasn't set the alarms off (yet ). i dont mind it that much since i actually like the smell haha
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t think there’s enough evidence to know whether they are safe. They may be safer than cigarettes, but you’re still subjecting other others to untested chemicals. Some people are so selfish.
Last edited by username2393237; 2 years ago
Trackmann777
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Even if vaping was not banned in halls, it would't be nice to subject others to some powerful stuff like flight herbal incense or vapes, yet they do not want the same experience, you dig?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (265)
57.73%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (61)
13.29%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (40)
8.71%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.36%

Watched Threads