Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I am going on maternity leave for a year, then I will be going back into education when my little boy is one year old. I have been thinking long and hard about what I want to do in life, way before I was pregnant and I have decided that I am not 100% happy with the course that I am on (it just isn't what I want to do - job prospects are not good either, and not really my area of specialty). Not only that, the university doesn't have a good reputation either and my tutors have not helped me at all this year despite e-mailing and trying to talk to them several times a day when I am at university, resulting in not so good grades!

I have decided to pursue in a different course but as a top-up at another university nearby me, which will make it easier for me to travel to as well and the course is what I definitely want to do as well. I just didn't think to apply for it which is ridiculous of me, as I have pretty much wasted two years of SF and time at my current university

If I discussed this with my tutors/lecturers and everyone else that is involved in the programme, can I get a Higher National Diploma instead of an UG degree and use my HND to do a top-up course instead of doing the third and last year at the university I am at now?

Thank you all in advance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Maybe, it really depends in your university and your subject. If your university is willing to issue you with an exit qualification then it might be a HND or maybe a DipHE, you can do a top-up degree with both. Ask and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by socialscience92)
    Hello everyone

I am going on maternity leave for a year, then I will be going back into education when my little boy is one year old. I have been thinking long and hard about what I want to do in life, way before I was pregnant and I have decided that I am not 100% happy with the course that I am on (it just isn't what I want to do - job prospects are not good either, and not really my area of specialty). Not only that, the university doesn't have a good reputation either and my tutors have not helped me at all this year despite e-mailing and trying to talk to them several times a day when I am at university, resulting in not so good grades!

I have decided to pursue in a different course but as a top-up at another university nearby me, which will make it easier for me to travel to as well and the course is what I definitely want to do as well. I just didn't think to apply for it which is ridiculous of me, as I have pretty much wasted two years of SF and time at my current university

If I discussed this with my tutors/lecturers and everyone else that is involved in the programme, can I get a Higher National Diploma instead of an UG degree and use my HND to do a top-up course instead of doing the third and last year at the university I am at now?

Thank you all in advance
    You have a couple of issues here
    1) Have the university you want to transfer to said they will accept the degree you are currently studying? If the current degree you are doing now and the top up are in totally different subjects or the modules you studied are not similar enough to what they offer then they may say no.
    2) Is this course you want to transfer to marketed specificially as a 1 year top up for those with an HND? If it is and they accept your current degree as acceptable for entry then no reason why you can't apply. However if not, then universities don't usually allow applicants to transfer into the final year of a full course undergraduate degree e.g. a 3 or 4 year one.

Also you might get more replies in the Applications and UCAS forum, this one is for those studying undergraduate education degrees e.g. Education Studies or BEds

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies jelly1000 I have messaged the admissions of my preferred university and they said I have a high chance of being accepted onto the course so that helps a lot! I am not sure about the modules though so I think I best e-mail them again and ask about that. I will also ask this on Applications & UCAS and see if I can get more responses - thank you once again!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.