Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm having some problems with my laptop, it is a cheap, crappy one so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just coming to the end of it's life but if there's anything I can do to prolong that it would be great as I can't really afford a new one.

Basically I've been low on space for a while but not done much about it and I'd started having a bit of trouble with viewing pictures and stuff cos it said there wasn't enough free disk space. I really don't have much on the laptop, the basic stuff that came with it, Itunes, AVG antivirus, garmin express, openoffice - plus a few word docs and pictures but not many. But now suddenly my internet keeps crashing (took me 4 tries of closing the everything down and reloading to get this page up), I can't open more than one tab at a time without them all crashing. I tried to free up some space but I can't uninstall or delete any software as it says I don't have administrator permission (I'm the only one who uses it, the only account and I've checked my account permissions and they look fine).

The 'space free' on my computer keeps changing as well? Like one minute it's 325MB free, the next 1.25GB, now it's down to 825MB.

I'm wondering if someone else could be using my computer? Like as a virus? Anyone with good knowledge have any ideas what I can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    I'm having some problems with my laptop, it is a cheap, crappy one so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just coming to the end of it's life but if there's anything I can do to prolong that it would be great as I can't really afford a new one.

Basically I've been low on space for a while but not done much about it and I'd started having a bit of trouble with viewing pictures and stuff cos it said there wasn't enough free disk space. I really don't have much on the laptop, the basic stuff that came with it, Itunes, AVG antivirus, garmin express, openoffice - plus a few word docs and pictures but not many. But now suddenly my internet keeps crashing (took me 4 tries of closing the everything down and reloading to get this page up), I can't open more than one tab at a time without them all crashing. I tried to free up some space but I can't uninstall or delete any software as it says I don't have administrator permission (I'm the only one who uses it, the only account and I've checked my account permissions and they look fine).

The 'space free' on my computer keeps changing as well? Like one minute it's 325MB free, the next 1.25GB, now it's down to 825MB.

I'm wondering if someone else could be using my computer? Like as a virus? Anyone with good knowledge have any ideas what I can do?
    I work in IT support, so I can help.First of all, do you know what version of Windows you're running? - Use this tool to find out.
    http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20246/~/using-winver-command-to-find-the-windows-version?cid=wmt_netgear_organic ------------ If you're using Windows 7 (Even if not, the below would apply to you anyway.) follow the below links and follow the instructions.
    http://www1.udel.edu/topics_css/wind...-windows7.html

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555367 Drop us a DM if you want any more help.

ReputationRep:
    I would do a full system scan with the antivirus. Delete stuff for now manually, so delete music, videos, pictures. Make sure you empty the bin too because it takes space to keep the deleted item information.

My guess is it's either problems with the hardware or a virus. If any of the above doesn't help, you can always reinstall windows freshly so literally gets rid of everything except for the OS. That way you'll know for sure if it's hardware or software related.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.