Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I built my PC a little over two years ago. Here is what I have:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    AMD64 3500+
    XFX 6800GT
    1GB OCZ RAM (I don't get RAM spec)
    Some hard drives

All of that resides in an Antec P160 case. However, I've lately become tired with this aluminium vessel, as it's getting a little scratched up, the airflow is extremely poor (I could use the routing machine at my work to saw a hole in the side, but meh), and I no longer like it's appearance (I originally expected it to be white =/ ).

I'm looking at a Lian Li (it's gonna set me back a lot if I decide to go for). It has occurred to me, however, that while my computer is reduced to separate components, it would be a good time to carry out any upgrades I want to do. Another 1GB RAM module would be a good decision, it seems, so no problem there. However, if I did purchase a Lian Li case, I would feel as though I were insulting its splendidness by not using bleeding-edge hardware. A whole new build is not financially viable for me, and besides, many of the up-and-coming DX10 games don't really appeal to me (except the one where you get chased by zombies).

I was thinking about getting a new processor. I can get a 4000+ X2 for about fifty quid, which does not seem too bad. The problem is that socket 939 is dead, so I have to wonder whether or not it's worth buying a new CPU for it.

Hmmm, I've kind of lost the thread of my point, so to avoid babbling I'll cut short here and see what responses I get before asking more questions.

In short: do you think it's a waste of time to buy a socket 939 processor? Is it necessary?

Thanks.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmm. I think it's a waste of time upgrading other than an extra gig of RAM, your computer's better than mine and mine seems to run Photoshop and various other memory-intensive programs without too much shaking.

Do watch out if you change your processor, as the chipset will have changed and Windows might refuse to boot until you reinstall it, which potentially means having to reinstall a lot of your programs.

ReputationRep:
    lol...Pooter.

ReputationRep:
    Upgrading your pooter?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 16, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.