Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know what percentage of students get 5 As? Just the A-Level equivalent (in a thread in the academic forum) seem to be 8% yet my mum reckons that for Highers it's only about 2%. Going by my school that seems quite a likely estimate, but I don't know how that compares to the rest of the country.

ReputationRep:
    Probably about 5%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Anybody know what percentage of students get 5 As? Just the A-Level equivalent (in a thread in the academic forum) seem to be 8% yet my mum reckons that for Highers it's only about 2%. Going by my school that seems quite a likely estimate, but I don't know how that compares to the rest of the country.
    Well considering that the A Level pass rate is something like 98%, and for Higher English it was 60% last year, I would assume that far fewer get straight As than darn sarf.

ReputationRep:
    At my school last year it was something like 10% - but that was EXTREMELY unusual and the head of year just about had a heart attack. Usually it's about 5% - but then again my school was in a very middle class area and is used to coming at the top of what used to be the Scottish league tables.

ReputationRep:
    In my year, 7 out of about 160 got 5 As, though two were post-appeal. So roughly 4%. But I'm at a really good state school, not sure how well we reflect the national average. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Every year since I started there have been either one or two people getting 5 As, the only exception being the greatest year in school history in which we had 6 of them :eek:.
    Most years are about 180 I think.
    I think we're nearer the bottom end, although for each extreme low person there's an extreme high person I guess. Rural rather than inner city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsbells)
    In my year, 7 out of about 160 got 5 As, though two were post-appeal. So roughly 4%. But I'm at a really good state school, not sure how well we reflect the national average. :confused:
    But then in general (as proven by SG results) your year isn't as good as mine

ReputationRep:
    Meow Meow
    Do I sense a little competition here:?

ReputationRep:
    Is that including GS?

ReputationRep:
    Talking about Scottish Highers not A-Levels, so no General Studies included

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    But then in general (as proven by SG results) your year isn't as good as mine
    I know, my year was pretty bad. The year before me was also better :rolleyes:

Acaila - where exactly do you live? Sorry, I'm very nosy

ReputationRep:
    About 15 miles north of Inverness. A little place (a scummy little place :rolleyes: ) called Dingwall.

ReputationRep:
    About 15 miles north of Inverness. A little place (a scummy little place :rolleyes: ) called Dingwall.
    Ooh, I drove through Inverness at the weekend (coming home from Orkney). We stopped for lunch in a place nearby called East Kinkell. Aww, I'm sure Dingwall isn't scummy!

ReputationRep:
    Ah I know it

And Dingwall is like some kind of hellmouth for neds

ReputationRep:
    And Dingwall is like some kind of hellmouth for neds
    Ach, neds are unavoidable. You seem to have turned out ok, so it can't be that bad!

ReputationRep:
    I'm originally from Stirling, so rather than being pushed into the cult of Burberry, I'm a focal point for all ned animosity.

Wait a sec...

Animosity's far too big a word for neds isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm originally from Stirling, so rather than being pushed into the cult of Burberry, I'm a focal point for all ned animosity.

Wait a sec...

Animosity's far too big a word for neds isn't it?
    Is it wrong that I think Burberry is quite stylish...?

*slaps self*

ReputationRep:
    Yes :P

Wrong, very very wrong.

You must go and bang your head off War and Peace fifty times to cleanse your soul :P.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Scottish people! How you guys doing?

ReputationRep:
    Not bad shiny one
    How's you doing?

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.