Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are 3 AH's a lot more work than 5 Highers? Also, do the 3 AH tend to be harder than the 5 Highers and what is the hardest AH?

Acaila, I presume you're going to Uni. What uni u going to (oxbridge ?) and what course r u going to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilal786)
    Are 3 AH's a lot more work than 5 Highers? Also, do the 3 AH tend to be harder than the 5 Highers and what is the hardest AH?

Acaila, I presume you're going to Uni. What uni u going to (oxbridge ?) and what course r u going to do?
    Well I am only just starting my AHs now but from what I've heard from those who have finished, the hardest Advanced Higher is probably English or History.

ReputationRep:
    I found 3 AH about the same workload as 5 highers - but obviously there's more work per subject (especially maths!) so at times it can feel more intense. But I didn't have to do any dissertations; for arts subjects 3 AH are probably more work.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Bilal786]Are 3 AH's a lot more work than 5 Highers? Also, do the 3 AH tend to be harder than the 5 Highers and what is the hardest AH?

I think three Advanced Highers are much more work than five Highers - especially for Arts students, although there is no doubt loads of work for the Science people as well, doing dissertations isn't easy. For me certainly, doing the three AHs were much more difficult than five Highers - although doing dissertations and a creative writing folio gave a little bit of relief at exam time, it wasn't that much and was stressful at the time.

I think English is probably a contender for the most difficult AH because everything is so in-depth, but then again Modern Studies was no skoosh either. These two subjects were a big jump, I felt from Higher, whereas doing French felt like a natural progression on from Fifth Year. It's all relative I suppose though!

Acaila, when I was down before my Cambridge interview, someone asked the Admissions Tutor (at Clare College) whether it was better to do more subjects and get AABB or just three (A-levels, AHs, etc) and get three As and the reply came as "Our offer is three As - we do not carry it over for doing four subjects or more." So they might ask you if you do declare it on the UCAS and your reasons for your decision. If they're nasty, they could ask you why you decided not to do the three AHs alone to concentrate on them. This is what happened to a friend of mine who did an extra Higher along with the three AHs and she panicked!

Again, I'm not tut-tutting, but just to let you know from experience!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not bothered if they ask me why I'm doing the Highers to be honest. I'm committed to both of them, and I think keeping up drama especially will be good for my application, because the entire course is done in my own time and requires a huge amount of self-organisation then {feels hypocritical as she should be doing homework}. I also feel it makes be a bit more well rounded. But I'm going to make sure neither Higher is at the expense of my 3 AHs.

I'm wanting to apply to Cambridge for Social and Political Sciences. Whether I actually go there is a whole different ball game

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ecossaise]

I think three Advanced Highers are much more work than five Highers - especially for Arts students, although there is no doubt loads of work for the Science people as well, doing dissertations isn't easy. For me certainly, doing the three AHs were much more difficult than five Highers - although doing dissertations and a creative writing folio gave a little bit of relief at exam time, it wasn't that much and was stressful at the time.

I think English is probably a contender for the most difficult AH because everything is so in-depth, but then again Modern Studies was no skoosh either. These two subjects were a big jump, I felt from Higher, whereas doing French felt like a natural progression on from Fifth Year. It's all relative I suppose though!

Acaila, when I was down before my Cambridge interview, someone asked the Admissions Tutor (at Clare College) whether it was better to do more subjects and get AABB or just three (A-levels, AHs, etc) and get three As and the reply came as "Our offer is three As - we do not carry it over for doing four subjects or more." So they might ask you if you do declare it on the UCAS and your reasons for your decision. If they're nasty, they could ask you why you decided not to do the three AHs alone to concentrate on them. This is what happened to a friend of mine who did an extra Higher along with the three AHs and she panicked!

Again, I'm not tut-tutting, but just to let you know from experience!
    Well Christ's say that doing four A-Levels/AHs allows for more flexibilty in offers - it all depends on college I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicalsausage)
    Well Christ's say that doing four A-Levels/AHs allows for more flexibilty in offers - it all depends on college I guess.
    Christ's also has a reputation for being crazy workaholics! Hee hee. Like i said, it's all relative!

ReputationRep:
    Well supposedly my chosen college is starting to languish at the bottom of the Norrington table (or is it the Tompkins table? I can never remember). Hopefully they won't even give me an AAA offer . Oh and AABa or AABaa would be preferable to me to AAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Well supposedly my chosen college is starting to languish at the bottom of the Norrington table (or is it the Tompkins table? I can never remember). Hopefully they won't even give me an AAA offer . Oh and AABa or AABaa would be preferable to me to AAA
    Cambridge are more sympathetic to candidates who are doing AH, so they give out more AAB offers to Scottish students than Oxford. :rolleyes:

But if you're pooled the offer is more likely to be AAA (or so I've heard)

ReputationRep:
    Go Cambridge! Cambridge have always struck me as being a bit more Scot-friendly .
    I would hope for an AAB offer to take some pressure off (I'd still aim for AAA) but I'd rather have an AAA offer than no offer

ReputationRep:

yes they are in my experience. I managed AAAAA at higher without much trouble got my unconditional, relaxed a bit and got 2 f***ing Bs at AH (maths and history). With AHs you can't just swat up on them at the last minute, well i couldn't anyway.

I did an A level in physics as well but that was pish and i'm pretty sure i nailed an A for that - the English get it so much easier than us.

ReputationRep:
    Was the A-level really that easy?

Would you go as far to say that the A-level was easier than the Higher?

ReputationRep:
    Was the A-level really that easy?

Would you go as far to say that the A-level was easier than the Higher?
    a levels are maybe a little harder than highers and covers a bit
    more stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I really wish English unis were more sympathetic to Scottish exams... York certainly was to me, but for all the others I applied to I got their typical A-level offer (better than no offer though!)

ReputationRep:
    I think Newcastle are sympathetic towards Scottish students aswell.

ReputationRep:
    yeah newcastle are very very good to scottish students.

ReputationRep:
    They gave me an unconditional offer on my Highers so I put them as my insurance. The guy in the "interview" actually asked me what offer I wanted!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, can I display my English ignorance, :rolleyes: and ask about the Scottish education system? Are Highers the equivalent of GCSEs and Advanced Highers like A2s? And in what years do you do the exams?

Ps...I *love* Scotland *grovel grovel*...no, really I do!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much!

So, you only need Highers for University? Not Advanced Highers? I'm a little confused........if lots of people only do Highers and not Advanced Highers, do they take their Highers at the end of 6th year, and the people doing Advanced Highers take Highers a year early?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, right! that's very clear! Thanks!

I wonder whether England, Wales and N. Ireland should adopt the Scottish system.....like you said in another thread, it hasn't been attacked like the A-level system has, and it seems much more sensible than a Bacculeurete (can't spell) type system.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.