Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm about to start a full-time research-based MSc and my university has listed the course as 2-years, when it is actually one year. After much discussion with the university, their argument is that most students fail to complete within one year.

    My argument to the university has been that £5000 a year for two years is unsuitable as the first year will be where the majority of financial burden lies, then in second year I'd get another £5000 just for a few weeks or months of extension.

    *I've been discussing this with my university and they have conceded that I can apply for a one-year loan (i.e. the full £10,000 in one year) but they warn that if/when I do not complete in one year, I will be breaching the conditions of my loan and need to make immediate repayments (they're vague about how much but it is implied it would be the whole loan).

    I simply don't believe that failure to complete in one year will lead to such serious financial consequences. I'm absolutely prepared to live 'out of pocket' for any extra time I require past one year, but my university is almost threateningly suggesting that my repayment terms will drastically change if I'm still studying after one year.

    Can you offer any clarification on this? I've been in contact with SFE/SLC already and I've been reassured that what the university is saying is untrue, but I'd like some concrete information on exactly what happens if I continue studying after one year - so far I've just been passed around in circles by representatives.

    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    Hi drol_52

    If your course is for 1 year only, the university must have this option available on our database for you to apply. If it is listed as a 2 year course, you can only apply for this and the maximum funding you can apply for in year 1 would be £5000.

  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.