Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello SFE,

I have been approved for a loan/grant for my 2nd year of UG studies in London.

The letter I received shows that SFE will pay out the financial support in 3 payments (Oct, Jan, Apr) as is standard.

However, is there any way to convince SFE to pay out a larger sum of the money in the first payment? I ask because I need to pay 6 months rent at the start of October as one of my co-tenants does not have a UK rent guarantor so we all have to pay rent in blocks of 6 months. As you can imagine, this is a substantial amount of money. My loan and other income is able to support the rent and my living costs, but only if i receive the money at the right time.

Receiving a larger sum of the money in the first payment would mean I wouldn't have to use my overdraft and borrow off family and friends to cover rent. As it is, I tend to have money left over from the last payment in Apr as my spending is much reduced during those months.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi,

Student finance payment dates are determined by your term dates and are split evenly over the 3 terms therefore we are unable to bring payments forward or pay them in a lump sum. If you find yourself in financial hardship during the academic year you may be able to apply to the discretionary payments team to bring a future payment forward.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.