The Student Room Group

Biochemistry, Biomedical and Biological Science Applicants 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmLo12
Hi guys! (Sorry if this question has already been answered) Please can someone tell me the universities which require BMAT to do biomedical sciences? I'm interested in: ICL, KCL, UCL, Bristol, Bath, Warwick, Durham, Newcastle :biggrin: thanks

I thought only Oxford requires biomedical science applicants to take the BMAT.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/about-bmat/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nicolanguyen
hey! i'm going to be starting the biological sciences course in UEA this september, i was wondering how your overall experience was (lecturers / teachers, course load, social life, accommodation), anything that can help me prepare since i'mm moving out and i'm a bit scared haha, thanks!

hey :smile:

First of all congratulations! UEA really is wonderful, and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.

Accommodation: I was in the standard single ziggurats- Norfolk Terrace, this meant in total there were 14 of us in the flat and we shared 3 bathrooms and 2 showers. Whilst there were never any queues and it was cleaned regularly there was nothing wrong with it. I just wasn't the most fortunate with my flat. I can't personally talk about the new builds as they were still under construction when I was there. From what I recall of friends flats, the space you get inclusive of your ensuite is smaller in the village and campus ensuite.

social life: I wasn't a massive drinker at uni by any extent of the imagination although I did go out a few times. The main club nights in the SU are Tuesdays- Fancy dress theme each week and Saturdays- cheesy retro pop music. Whilst in Norwich there is propaganda on Fridays which is a very popular night. If you aren't much of a drinker then there are plenty of societies you can join- which also hold lots of socials and there is the pub quiz every sunday night which I loved going to- and won on several occasions.
Outside of the clubbing culture Norwich has so much to do and lots of quirky places to explore, I don't think I discovered half the places whilst I lived there, its only a short train ride from the coast and from the norfolk broads too! so you'll never be short of anything to do :smile:

course load: First year as a whole is getting everyone up to the same level with regards to knowledge before second and third year. Whilst the content is relatively easy to pick up they are key concepts which you need to be comfortable with understanding and applying in later years. The first year however, you have much more formative (practise) work and summative coursework compared to later years.
Second and third year the content does get much harder and there is more to take in per lecture, but the coursework gradually changes to prepare you more for your final year project and 'becoming a scientist' so to speak like being able to review papers and be critical about them, writing short summaries of papers and the like.

lecturers: When you start UEA you'll be allocated an academic tutor, they are there to help you with any qualms or worries about the course, help guide you through your course, help choose module choices, help with any extenuating circumstances and ultimately will give you a reference when you finish. Many of them are wonderful, I don't think my friends complained about theirs at all.
With lecturers, some you will see and get to know more than others. It helps come choosing a project in third year and obtaining a second year internship. Dependent on module they will run help sessions e.g. cancer biology and there is also a Facebook group for the module to ensure people are up to date with news within oncology.
I was fortunate enough to do a second year summer project at a different uni, and come graduation I had several lecturers offering to be my referee for my masters programme.

I loved my time at UEA and within BIO, hopefully I've helped you a bit :smile: but any more specific questions let me know
Original post by wolfmoon88
I thought only Oxford requires biomedical science applicants to take the BMAT.

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/about-bmat/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! Thank you so much for your reply. I thought the same but i'm getting different information from everywhere! Thank you again for taking your time to find a link for me :biggrin:
Original post by EmLo12
Hello! Thank you so much for your reply. I thought the same but i'm getting different information from everywhere! Thank you again for taking your time to find a link for me :biggrin:

No problem, that's what we are here for :yep: glad it helped and good luck for your application :smile:
Original post by lilGem
hey :smile:

First of all congratulations! UEA really is wonderful, and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.

Accommodation: I was in the standard single ziggurats- Norfolk Terrace, this meant in total there were 14 of us in the flat and we shared 3 bathrooms and 2 showers. Whilst there were never any queues and it was cleaned regularly there was nothing wrong with it. I just wasn't the most fortunate with my flat. I can't personally talk about the new builds as they were still under construction when I was there. From what I recall of friends flats, the space you get inclusive of your ensuite is smaller in the village and campus ensuite.

social life: I wasn't a massive drinker at uni by any extent of the imagination although I did go out a few times. The main club nights in the SU are Tuesdays- Fancy dress theme each week and Saturdays- cheesy retro pop music. Whilst in Norwich there is propaganda on Fridays which is a very popular night. If you aren't much of a drinker then there are plenty of societies you can join- which also hold lots of socials and there is the pub quiz every sunday night which I loved going to- and won on several occasions.
Outside of the clubbing culture Norwich has so much to do and lots of quirky places to explore, I don't think I discovered half the places whilst I lived there, its only a short train ride from the coast and from the norfolk broads too! so you'll never be short of anything to do :smile:

course load: First year as a whole is getting everyone up to the same level with regards to knowledge before second and third year. Whilst the content is relatively easy to pick up they are key concepts which you need to be comfortable with understanding and applying in later years. The first year however, you have much more formative (practise) work and summative coursework compared to later years.
Second and third year the content does get much harder and there is more to take in per lecture, but the coursework gradually changes to prepare you more for your final year project and 'becoming a scientist' so to speak like being able to review papers and be critical about them, writing short summaries of papers and the like.

lecturers: When you start UEA you'll be allocated an academic tutor, they are there to help you with any qualms or worries about the course, help guide you through your course, help choose module choices, help with any extenuating circumstances and ultimately will give you a reference when you finish. Many of them are wonderful, I don't think my friends complained about theirs at all.
With lecturers, some you will see and get to know more than others. It helps come choosing a project in third year and obtaining a second year internship. Dependent on module they will run help sessions e.g. cancer biology and there is also a Facebook group for the module to ensure people are up to date with news within oncology.
I was fortunate enough to do a second year summer project at a different uni, and come graduation I had several lecturers offering to be my referee for my masters programme.

I loved my time at UEA and within BIO, hopefully I've helped you a bit :smile: but any more specific questions let me know

thank you so much!! i just have one more question and that is do you know when freshers week is?? i'm moving up from London and the course starts on the 25th sept so i'm not sure if freshers is before or during since i'd need to pack for accomodation and stuff, thanks!
Original post by nicolanguyen
thank you so much!! i just have one more question and that is do you know when freshers week is?? i'm moving up from London and the course starts on the 25th sept so i'm not sure if freshers is before or during since i'd need to pack for accomodation and stuff, thanks!

I'm not sure if it's changed but freshers week is normally the week the course starts and the just after move in weekend :smile: you should know more soon enough though :smile:
Hi,
I wanted to know the difference between a "biochemistry course" and "biochemistry with molecular cell biology course" please.

Thank you.
Original post by BioOx
Salary is dope. Honestly I have still not thought about greenz. I just want to study what I like and before I go to postgrad I'll think bout it,.

is it dope? I've read online that it pays like 20k
Original post by lilGem
I just graduated from UEA in biological sciences if you have any questions :h:

how was biology degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending