Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all!

    I wonder if anyone can advice me with my situation. I've researched and read countless forums and websites but I cant get a definite answer. If anyone can shed a light to my confusion I would be eternally grateful!

    I'm trying to find out more about what I can apply for when I apply for student finance. My plan is to study a foundation degree next year Sept 2017 then go on to studying Nursing. I know its still early but it's better to be prepared than going in blindly..

    By the time the course starts I will be 24 and I would have worked full time for 3 years. I'm currently living with my boyfriend and would probably have the same situation next year.

    My question is, would I be classed as dependent or independent?

    Also what finance will be available for me? Will i be eligible for student finance for my tuition fees and for cost of living? Could I get a grant?

    Is it possible for me to go to university and live with my partner and survive on his salary (he earns about 16k a year) and the loans that I would get when I start uni?

    Has anyone been in a similar situation that could give me some advice?

    Thanks in advance!
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team

    we can advise that for your foundation degree you would be eligible to apply for a maintenance and tuition fee loan providing you meet the eligibility criteria, which can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies . You have confirmed that you are under 25 and worked full time for 3 years, on this basis you may be eligible to apply as an independent student.

    As you will not be attending your foundation degree until September 2017 the entitlement may change from what is available to current students however you can use our online calculator for a rough estimate: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

    At present we are unable to provide exact figures for your nursing degree, but can confirm that the Government have recently announced that from 2017/18 AY new students studying NHS courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses. This means they will be eligible for tuition fees(TF) of up to £9000, plus any additional TF increases and the full means tested maintenance loan. They will also be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowance and Grants for Dependents.

  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.