Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm doing a research postgrad degree through distance learning and I'm looking for a bit of friendly advice. Currently, I am struggling to find any motivation to do work as I'm unhappy and not feeling very confident.

I am self-funding and living at home but my money has ran out and this is the main cause of my unhappiness. I have been looking for a part time job for over a year but there are few jobs in the local area and I can't even get an interview anywhere. It is depressing as I live in a small community with nothing to do... I can't travel to meet my friends for a drink as I don't have the money for anything. I feel like I have nothing to do with my life other than study. I have been to the job centre and they don't want to help.

I am just unmotivated and feel like I will fail my studies anyway.

ReputationRep:
    A few thoughts:
    - successful studies are never wasted (right back to that English GCSE)
    - there's always interesting ways to boost your income (agency work can be the most memorable and character building)
    - positive attitude is everything (with this you succeed, whatever)
    Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm doing a research postgrad degree through distance learning and I'm looking for a bit of friendly advice. Currently, I am struggling to find any motivation to do work as I'm unhappy and not feeling very confident.

I am self-funding and living at home but my money has ran out and this is the main cause of my unhappiness. I have been looking for a part time job for over a year but there are few jobs in the local area and I can't even get an interview anywhere. It is depressing as I live in a small community with nothing to do... I can't travel to meet my friends for a drink as I don't have the money for anything. I feel like I have nothing to do with my life other than study. I have been to the job centre and they don't want to help.
    You should volunteer at a charity shop for a while and gain some till experience then apply to retail jobs

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.