Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'll try and keep this short. I've been speaking to this guy and we're just mates for now. He's really nice and has been there for me whenever I feel down and offers really good advice. However, he can get angry easily and takes a lot of things personally.

One time he cussed me out when my phone randomly died during a phone call and the call dropped, he thought I abruptly ended the call. If you don't reply within 30 seconds to him he will inundate you with several messages like 'oiiii' 'hello' 'where have you gone' 'come back' etc. which can be irritating at times. He's homophobic too and says that being gay is a 'mental disorder'.

He can also be quite critical and shallow, he calls lots of girls ugly and says nasty things about their appearance. He has pretty high standards for girls looks and has called conventionally gorgeous girls 'butters' or down played their beauty. I don't mind people's opinions but sometimes it makes me feel insecure.

He is constantly going on about girls appearances and whether a girl is hot or not. It's gotten to the point where he does it so often that I'm starting to question whether I should speak to him much less from now on, but I also feel bad because he's mostly lovely to me. Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    If he's so critical about these women behind their backs, then why would you think that he isn't equally aggressive about you to others? The haranguing clinginess regarding replies would be enough for me to drop him like a sack of ****. He acts as if he's the best thing you could be spending your time on, which is evidence of some pretty deep disrespect.

(Original post by Just a Bloke)
    If he's so critical about these women behind their backs, then why would you think that he isn't equally aggressive about you to others? The haranguing clinginess regarding replies would be enough for me to drop him like a sack of ****. He acts as if he's the best thing you could be spending your time on, which is evidence of some pretty deep disrespect.
    (Original post by Just a Bloke)
    I'm not sure, he says that he thinks I'm attractive which is a miracle in itself considering how high his standards are. He can be really lovely though, he even lent me money once when I found myself in a difficult situation and made some arrangements for me that helped me to get out of it. Now that I type this out I think I'm being too harsh and ungrateful, I can't turn my back on someone who did all of that for me yet at the same time sometimes I feel uncomfortable with how critical he is. Maybe I should just suck it up.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll try and keep this short. I've been speaking to this guy and we're just mates for now. He's really nice and has been there for me whenever I feel down and offers really good advice. However, he can get angry easily and takes a lot of things personally.

One time he cussed me out when my phone randomly died during a phone call and the call dropped, he thought I abruptly ended the call. If you don't reply within 30 seconds to him he will inundate you with several messages like 'oiiii' 'hello' 'where have you gone' 'come back' etc. which can be irritating at times. He's homophobic too and says that being gay is a 'mental disorder'.

He can also be quite critical and shallow, he calls lots of girls ugly and says nasty things about their appearance. He has pretty high standards for girls looks and has called conventionally gorgeous girls 'butters' or down played their beauty. I don't mind people's opinions but sometimes it makes me feel insecure.

He is constantly going on about girls appearances and whether a girl is hot or not. It's gotten to the point where he does it so often that I'm starting to question whether I should speak to him much less from now on, but I also feel bad because he's mostly lovely to me. Opinions?
    i have been in almost an identical situation and it might be a good idea to speak to him about it or just to slowly distance yourself from him. it is your decision what happens next but just think about whether you want someone like that in your life. or just tell him that you don't like when he does certain things, if he doesnt listen then it may be best if you distance yourself from him.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds special, maybe he's the one OP.

ReputationRep:
    he can get angry easily and takes a lot of things personally.

He's homophobic too and says that being gay is a 'mental disorder'.

He can also be quite critical and shallow, he calls lots of girls ugly and says nasty things about their appearance.

it makes me feel insecure.

He is constantly going on about girls appearances and whether a girl is hot or not.

I'm starting to question whether I should speak to him much less from now on
    Sounds like an ******* to me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I can't stand guys who call perfectly pretty girls ugly. Or anyone for that matter.

Sounds like a pretentious, shallow, homophobic ****
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team

Sounds like a bad egg to me, certainly doesn't sound like relationship material at all.

ReputationRep:
    Sit down and ask yourself, "why am I friends with this person?" If you REALLY have to think about it, I think you have an answer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.