Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are the general requirements for an IB student to apply for an engineering degree in the U.S/Canada? Is it completely necessary to take Math HL and Physics HL or are those just recommended courses? I'd imaging students who do take the courses would have an advantage either in getting acceptance or suriving in uni. I am taking neither of the two courses, sadly. Even though engineering isn't my first choice as a career, I would definitely like the option of pursuing it. I feel like IB deadlocked my possibility since I can only take 2 sciences and I wanted to take Biology HL. I am not considering bioengineering or material engineering.

ReputationRep:
    US/Canada unis give me a feeling that they dont really care about your IB. US unis definitely look at your SAT to decide whether they want u or not. I'm not so sure about Canadian unis though. Why dont you contact the university and ask them directly. You'll probably have to do Physics and Maths in SAT II.

ReputationRep:
    hey i got accepted to University of Waterloo for engineering this fall. Where are you studying? I was studying in Canada. If you're studying in Canada most probably (like me) they'll convert your IB marks into a percentage and you'll get accepted based on that. In terms of courses I believe you need Math HL and i had Physics SL. other than that an english course and that about covers your requirements. BUT BUT BUT PLEASE check the admissions section of the site about the requirements because they will have changed for 2008 due to changes in the Ontario curriculum and IB curriculum . pm me if you have any more specific questions about canadian university since i just went through the whole process 2 months ago.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Vancouver. I'm considering UBC, UofT and also Waterloo amongst other univerisities. UBC is pretty generous with IB students so they might be a bit more lenient. One of the UofT admission officers visited my school and gave me the most vague answer. He said it differs in every situation and it's best to do what I feel right. Psh. I'm pretty sure at least one of the two HL courses should be required.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.