Turn on thread page Beta

I just had an 'oh crap' moment. I've booked an appointment with my doctor for today because I'm pretty sure I'm depressed. I sleep all the time, I have no energy to do anything... I cry all the time, I've put on weight but I don't seem to eat anything.
    The thing is what do I say to him? Do I just walk in and say I'm depressed? Ive never done anything like this and I was going to just try and sort it out myself but I realised I couldn't last night. I was in bed crying and I couldn't sleep and ended up walking around the streets planning how I was going to escape. I need help.

Will he take me seriously? Or just act like I'm a teenager with teenagerish moods. and should I tell him why I think I'm depressed, because that just makes it seem even more stupid and typical, cheating boyfriend, my only close family member has died all the usual stuff.
    Please if anyone has been through this, tell me how to do it.

they will take you very seriously. i dont think that they are stupid reasons, theyre more than valid.

maybe dont tell him your depressed as thats down to him to decide. just tell them how you feel and the things youve described above.

I've been to see my Doctor about depression and it's a lot less daunting than it seems. I had big anxiety problems as well at the time so this just made it worse. All you need to do is go in, tell him you have a problem with your mood, he'll ask you what that is and you just need to say that you think you might be depressed, tell him your mood has dropped, you've gained weight, about your sleeping patterns. If you have been feeling restless at all, nervous at all, if you've had any thoughts of self harm. My Doctor actually suggested depression to me, I didn't go in because I thought I had it, I went in because of other things and to 'decide' if I was depressed we did this dumb quiz thing that asks you about things like sleep and appetite and feeling like you have let your family and friends down and stuff like that. You score a score and they talk about all of your answers with you ["You say you've had trouble sleeping, describe that for me"] and then they will tell you wether or not you're depressed and how he or she plans on going about treating this. My Doctor said that "Time off" was the first main step but he also said that I'd had enough of that, the next was "Talking to someone" - I said I had no one and so now I use him to talk to. He put me on some drugs [I can't remember the name] and I've been on them for about 4 weeks now, they've had no effect on me so far - I still sleep far too much and at the wrong times, I constantly feel tired, I have no drive, I have a seriously increased appetite, I'm restless and I feel like I am putting a serious burden on my family [especially my mum and dads relationship] but talking to him every few weeks really helps me - and he reassures me that even though the thoughts won't go away, my mood will increase enough to make me want to do something about my depression and will help me open up to him and my family about how I feel which will make me feel better. Different Doctors approach depression in different ways, so don't be shocked or worried if the way you're treated is different to me. In general your Doctor will know what is best and you have to trust that and hang in there. The most important thing is to be totally honest, both when you are telling him stuff and when he is asking you questions. One of the hardest things to do is to tell someone you have thoughts of self harm or that you feel so bad but it has to be done, don't hide anything or he can't fully understand your condition and be able to treat you.

I hope everything goes well and I hope I reassured you even if only a tiny bit.

Good luck :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Think I'd go in and say "I'm worried that I might be depressed", and then hopefully he/she will ask you why you think that on which case list the reasons mentioned. You may get some questiosn to discover if you have other common symptoms and stuff.

As far as I can remember, messed up eating and sleepign patterns are two of the symptoms on the list that docs will check for, so I certainly don't think you're just being a moody teenager.

ReputationRep:
    Before actually attending my appointment with my doctor I was completely scared that he might think I was wasting his time and simply making a huge fuss over nothing.
    I was also extremely apprehensive about what he was going to ask me and what I should say.

However, it is just something you have to do. Somehow I actually managed to cry when I was talking to my doctor, but it was a whole lot easier than what I had expected.

A doctor is a professional and will listen to you and support you in every way possible. So, there is no need to worry about anything.

Good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    I would explain your symptoms, and he will come to whatever is the most appropriate conclusion.

When I went to my GP about my depression, I didn't know what to expect. I just explained how I was feeling and how long for. He asked me to fill out a questionnaire and return in a week. It turned out that I had got worse in the week so he was pretty sure I was depressed.

Good luck though, and well done for trying to get help. I know from experience how difficult it can be. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I find that doctors in UK take depression more seriously than at home (HK for me). I had a letter from my counsellor in HK when I went to uni when I gave it to the nurse when I registered at the clinic. She immediately booked me an appointment with the GP, who was very understanding and continued my SSRI prescription without judging / many questions. Because I also have an eating disorder, he tried to refer me immediately to an ED centre. He was very patient and sensitive whenever I go see him which made it easier for me to open up and feel less ashamed of my depression.

Go to your GP and just tell him how you feel. Chances are he'll be very understanding and try to help you by either medication or if necessary, referral. Don't be scared, people are out there to listen and help you. *hug*

ReputationRep:
    You should go.

The morbid thoughts are another thing on the checklist. It doesn't have to get to contemplating suicide.

JFTR I had to be persuaded to take how i was feeling seriously and it made such a difference I am forever indebted to the person who took the time to persuade me

I can't go today. I'm going to phone and ask for an appointment next week, I need more time.
    Thank you for your advce though.

ReputationRep:
    I just went in and said that I thought I was depressed and explained my symptoms. The doctors are quick quick to pick up on these things. When I saw my main doctor she was able to tell without me saying anything. She studied my facial expressions and eyes and came out with it first.

Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.